Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Miracle Worker Ladder

Posted 01-26-2018 14:53
    For those of you who have been involved in a production of The Miracle Worker, what suggestions might you have for getting Annie safely down the ladder while being carried by Captain Keller?  We do have Annie's room as a full second story and a large window opening for her to come out of.  However, every which way we try it, the kids and I feel unsafe.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

------------------------------
    Sarah Gerling
    Theatre Teacher and Director
    Columbia MO

• 2.  RE: Miracle Worker Ladder

Posted 01-27-2018 03:09
    We had so much trouble with it that we had most of it played offstage, with Captain Keller bringing her onstage with a fireman's carry.  We also had a very "short" proscenium arch, which added to the difficulty.  

Kathleen Conner
    California State Thespians CFO

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone on the Verizon 4G LTE Network

• 3.  RE: Miracle Worker Ladder

Posted 01-27-2018 08:34
      |   view attached
    Just directed The Miracle Worker this fall and I had the perfect old period-looking ladder to use - but I too was concerned about safety. We used a new orange and yellow modern ladder.  The two servant kids held the ladder while the Captain climbed it on the upstage side.  He was much smaller than our Annie - so there was no way that he could carry her.  They argue at the top of the ladder, she climbs out of the window and it looks like she puts her arms arms his neck for a minute, but then they both climb down unseen by the audience because the downstage part of the ladder blocks the "carry".  I've attached so that you can see the position of the ladder and how modern it looks.

Marla Blasko
    Director/Teacher Theatre Arts
    Long Reach High School
    Columbia, Maryland

• 4.  RE: Miracle Worker Ladder

Posted 01-27-2018 10:16
    When we did it a couple of years ago, we had the same problem. Our solution was to have the ladder carried across the stage and to then place it where the audience couldn't see it. Keller crawled up and stuck his head through the window and made it look as though he was helping her down when in reality she was doing it herself. It worked very well and was much safer than having him actually try to carry her.

Ray Karns
    Theatre Teacher
    Wakefield School
    The Plains VA

• 5.  RE: Miracle Worker Ladder

Posted 01-28-2018 00:27
    In my production, I built a sturdy ladder long enough that the angle from floor to window was not as steep as you would use in a real situation. I created a way to secure the ladder once it was on the window, then Annie just leaned out and folded over Keller's shoulder. She hung onto his waist from behind and he held her legs in front with one arm. That balanced her well and left him one arm to hold onto the ladder as he descended.

Ann

Sent from my iPad

• 6.  RE: Miracle Worker Ladder

Posted 02-06-2018 08:37

Sarah -
    I direct The Miracle Worker at Helen Keller's Birthplace in Tuscumbia, Al. Bill Gibson was a dear friend of mine. Happy to help you with anything on this show.

As for the ladder - rethink your set so that the window is upstage. (It may already be, but I couldn't tell from your post.) Anyway, here's what we do:

We built a staircase up to a platform behind the window. Very safe. In the window, I have a couple of rungs of the ladder that are hinged facing down. When Cpt. Keller "climbs" up there backstage, he swings the ladder up so that a little piece of it sticks up for the audience to see. Cpt and Annie come through the window and fake going down behind the set. Works very well. 

A few things to keep in mind with this show:

1) Annie DID NOT have an Irish accent. It's a mistake in the script. You can read my Breaking Character article on Samuel French from a couple of years ago on this subject.

2) In the fight scene, keep it to 6 minutes. Anything longer and it is not as effective. 

3) In the fight scene, there is mention of a somersault. Here's what Bill meant:  Annie is hovered over Helen trying to control her. Helen pushes her off by thrusting her body backwards sending Annie crashing into a wall or furniture. I've seen so many productions where Annie actually turns a somersault or forward roll. Not what Bill intended at all. 

Happy to Skype with your cast. I've been directing the show for 20 years, and I had the privilege of having Bill and Arthur Penn to critique my production. 

Please let me know how I can help.

Best,

Darren Butler

Darren Butler
    Theatre Teacher
    Florence City Schools
    Florence AL