Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Lyrics concern

Posted 02-19-2019 18:47
    Good evening!

We are producing James and the Giant Peach for our spring musical and we have come across something that has caused us some concern. One of the lyrics in one of the songs (during a song that shows how awful his aunts are) there are some questionable lyrics that will not likely work for our audiences.

The song says "James can be our helper-monkey slave!" We are concerned because these would be taken as racially insensitive given that we have a black James and a white aunt that would be singing the line and we are located in Alabama.

Has anyone done this show and changed the lyric to something less inflammatory? We are planning to change it, because we cannot see having the students singing this line, but would like to know if anyone has done this already and might already have a pretty good substitution. Thanks for any help you can give!

------------------------------
    Jennifer Guffin
    Teacher
    McAdory Middle School
    McCalla AL

• 2.  RE: Lyrics concern

Posted 02-20-2019 07:24
    Changing or altering intellectual property might be a violation of your license agreement and copy write laws.  I would advise contacting your licensing representative for any questions you might have.  There is probably a staging situation that will allay your fears and be true to the intention of the script.  While I have not produced this show, we performed the Adams Family Musical a few years ago and had similar concerns over Grandmother's proclamation of a grandmother sandwich.  Clever staging allowed us to stay true to the script and get away from the implications we did not agree with.

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 3.  RE: Lyrics concern

Posted 02-20-2019 08:02
    "James will do what we want and James will behave"

Garry Tiller
    Theatre Arts Teaching Artist
    Sidwell Friends
    Washington, DC

• 4.  RE: Lyrics concern

Posted 02-20-2019 10:54
    Greetings,
    The lyric has officially been changed by Benj to: 
    MAKE HIM SWEAT AND FORCE HIM TO BEHAVE

It will take some time to update the show materials, but in the meantime, please alter the lyric.

Thanks for presenting James and the Giant Peach!!!

Best,
    Timothy Allen McDonald
    Librettist
    James and the Giant Peach

Tim McDonald
    New York NY

• 5.  RE: Lyrics concern

Posted 02-20-2019 12:23
    Wonderful! Thank you for your reply and we look so much forward to doing your show! I appreciate your input and now my mind is at ease.

Jennifer Guffin
    Teacher
    McAdory Middle School
    McCalla AL

• 6.  RE: Lyrics concern

Posted 02-20-2019 11:10
    Just write to the licensing house and ask if you can make the change. I've never been told no when I've asked Samuel French, Dramatists, Playscripts, Heuer, etc.

Irene Imboden
    Teacher/ Drama Director
    Troy City Schools
    OH

• 7.  RE: Lyrics concern

Posted 02-20-2019 12:10
    Hey Jen!

I'd suggest contacting MTI with your concern, and see is they have any suggested workarounds (or if they'll green-light yours). I'd assume they've been contacted before about that lyric, from teachers who have the same worry.

If MTI refuses to allow changes - which would surprise me - you could honor the text while respecting your audience, and direct the characters overhearing the offensive line to respond to the lyric with outrage and irritation. 

Good luck!

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 8.  RE: Lyrics concern

Posted 02-21-2019 10:39
    Great question.
    I agree with those that mentioned contacting your licensing representative. We did this before for language concerns and they were helpful. When we called we explained why we were asking and offered a possible solution which they accepted. It is worth a shot.

As a side note, being a member of our diversity equity and inclusion team, I appreciate you handling this respectfully. Language is a powerful thing and when questions come up like this, we always have a conversation with the students about it so they can be part of the dialogue.

have a great day!!
    Jim

James Fry
    Director of Student Life and the Malvern Theatre Society
    Malvern, PA