Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Drama Theatre Supplemental Contracts

Posted 10-22-2018 08:11
    I am trying to get my union to fight for additional theatre supplements especially to support additional support for musical production. Currently, my district provides one, non-repeatable "Drama Coach" supplemental contract per school at 11% of the base salary.

Now I need to collect data from other schools.

If you would be so kind, either respond here or send to me directly the supplemental contracts your district provides for drama/theatre. Please provide the name of the district, the title of each supplemental contract your district offers, the percentage of base pay on the contract, and if it is repeatable.

I look forward to hearing from you!

------------------------------
    Mark A. Zimmerman,

Theatre Director
    Akron School for the Arts
    Firestone Community Learning Center
    470 Castle Blvd
    Akron, Ohio 44313

Troupe 5570

mzimmerm@apslearn.org

• 2.  RE: Drama Theatre Supplemental Contracts

Posted 10-22-2018 08:40
    Hi Mark,
    I just tried to email you a copy of our contract schedule and it got kicked back as not deliverable.  Can you confirm your email? I'd be happy to forward to you!
    Thanks!
    Amy

Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 3.  RE: Drama Theatre Supplemental Contracts

Posted 10-22-2018 12:11
    mzimmerm@apslearns.org

Mark A. Zimmerman,

Theatre Director
    Akron School for the Arts
    Firestone Community Learning Center
    470 Castle Blvd
    Akron, Ohio 44313

Troupe 5570

mzimmerm@apslearn.org

• 4.  RE: Drama Theatre Supplemental Contracts

Posted 10-22-2018 15:29
    Hi Mark, 

I suggest you reach out to Elizabeth Rand, who responds to posts on this board from time to time, and who is a fantastic resource for advocating for high school theatre programs. She likely has some of the materials you are looking for. You can contact her through her public website: presett.org

Best of luck!

Meg O'Connor
    oconnormainstage.com

• 5.  RE: Drama Theatre Supplemental Contracts

Posted 10-23-2018 08:27
    Mark,

Your email comes back as undeliverable. Can you advise? I have some answers for you regarding your question about contracts.

Dan Schmidt
    BVSW Theatre Director

Dan Schmidt
    Theatre Director
    USD 229
    Prairie Village KS

• 6.  RE: Drama Theatre Supplemental Contracts

Posted 10-23-2018 17:21
    I wish you the best of luck in this. I am trying to increase the base pay of drama director here at the public school I am at. The supplementals are all being reviewed at this time. I hope it is to make them equitable. The theatre boosters raise money all year to pay for a music director, choreographer and pit orchestra leader for our spring musical, otherwise we would not have these important people helping with the production.

The Dramatics position is one of the lowest paid in the district, lower than most junior high coaches coming in at 4.5% of base pay, which is paid twice, one for each semester. There is a supplemental for the tech director, which they labeled "assistant director" for 2.5% of base salary is also paid twice, one for each semester. Considering the time (3 hours of rehearsal each night - tech 2 - 3 X a week at 3 hours or more), as well as the troupe director duties (meeting 2X a month with the council, handling all the troupe needs and duties) these positions are sorely underpaid. Of course we did them for the love of theatre and it is our passion, however, there needs to be respect and equitability for the work we do.

Other paid supplemental positions at the school: The Varsity Football and Basketball coach get 16% of base pay, the Assistant Football and Basketball coach get 11 % of base pay. Head Wrestling Coach gets 14% of base pay, and the Assistant gets 8% of base pay.  The Varsity Cross Country, Volleyball, Swimming, Baseball, Softball Coach all get 10% of base pay, and even does the Varsity Cheerleader Advisor. The Varsity Band Director gets 14.5% of base pay, and the Assistant gets 9% of base pay.   The Varsity Soccer Coach only gets 9% of base pay, however as far as varsity coaches, Drama is the lowest paid, and the pay is lower than all the Junior High and Elementary coaching salaries.

I would appreciate any information that shows schools offering better salary, as the standard comment is that they will be:  "basing [pay] off of what other comparable schools have." That is the justification for such lousy pay - no other school is being fair in what they pay the Drama Director, so the vicious cycle continues!

Best of luck, and hope you are successful.
    Valerie

Valerie Farschman, Drama Director
    MLS Theatre Company, Troupe 1422
    Marion L Steele High School
    Amherst, Ohio

• 7.  RE: Drama Theatre Supplemental Contracts

Posted 10-23-2018 20:22
    Hi Mark,
    Can you define "repeatable"? Are you referring to being rehired year after year? Or repeated within the same year?

I'll be glad to send you what we do this weekend if that's not too late.

Holly

Holly Thompson
    Worthington OH