Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  LED lights

Posted 08-11-2017 11:26
    I am interested in changing out some of mytraditional lighting fixtures (Pars, Lekos) with LED fixtures.  Our theatre is a converted church sanctuary that is 50+ years old and we often trip a breaker with our lighting.  I am looking for the best fixture at the best price.  We have what amounts to a 20 x 40 black box-style space (we have reconfiguarble platforms in lieu of a fixed traditional stage.).  All suggestions would be appreciated.

------------------------------
    Myndee Washington
    Spring Hill FL

• 2.  RE: LED lights

Posted 08-12-2017 12:05
    Hi,

Although you may be able to simply swap fixtures, you likely need to look at the infrastructure requirements needed to make that happen. You mention that you frequently trip breakers, do you mean the dimmers or are you plugged into house circuits?

LED's require constant power so dimmers are not a reasonable choice, however, due to the smaller drain on your electrical supply, you can plug them into standard 20 amp circuits. Further, you will need to reconfigure your data distribution. If you are using dimmers, the board talks to the dimmers via DMX, with LEDs, you will be communicating with the lights directly. To make this happen, you will need to figure out how and where the additional DMX cables will be routed and look at additional equipment like an optical splitter so you can have a central hub from which DMX lines are distributed.

Lastly, the cost of LEDs can be prohibitive and you do generally get what you pay for. I know there are LEDs that are 
    pretty inexpensive but may lack the brightness and reliability of lights built by more recognized sources. (Altman, ETC, Chauvet, Elation).  

Your best bet is to contact a lighting dealer, discuss your needs and see what they would recommend. I would not simply buy equipment online based on price.

Thanks,

Dana

Dana Taylor
    MSD of Mt. Vernon
    Evansville IN