Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  improv--beginning of the semester or no?

Posted 09-04-2018 18:47
    Forgive me for what's going to be a rather vague set of questions for the sake of stimulating conversation.  Just picking the able brains of this community.

I've likely been guilty over the years of using improv mostly a filler in my middle school theatre classes.  You know, the old "we have some extra time" here and there, so "let's play a game."  Sure, there are some games/activities that I apply intentionally at key points in the year for skills acquisition, e..g "This activity really gets at a sense of objective, so it's a nice complement to this scene analysis unit,"  but mostly I've been pretty scattershot. 

Last year, toward the end of the year I started to get probably more in depth and certainly more deliberate about teaching improv than I'd been.  (Honestly, it was a move of desperation.  It was a really tough class--maybe my toughest in two decades--so much so that I didn't feel like I could do even a small-scale play with them, which is house we usually end the year.)  I'd like to get even more intentional and more thorough this year, so I'd love guidance from those of you there who do beefy improv units.  

Besides suggestions of resources and sharing of strategies, I'm also interested in hearing about where you think such a unit best fits within a sequence of a semester-long or year-long class (I teach both).  I can certainly see the merits of focusing on improv early in the semester--team-building and the like--but I honestly think I've moved AWAY from doing lot of improv early in a course because I began to feel like students didn't KNOW enough or have enough skills to be successful.  But I could be persuaded to change my thinking on the matter.  Also, what's the scope of such a unit?  How long does it go on, what are key take-aways, and what does it culminate in?

All feedback welcome and happy new school year to all.

------------------------------
    Ryan Moore
    Theatre Teacher and Forensics Coach
    Royal Oak MI

• 2.  RE: improv--beginning of the semester or no?

Posted 09-05-2018 06:13
    I inherited a strong Improv program when I moved to Singapore American School. Half the classes I teach are Improv now. I've been developing Long Form with the Advanced Improv class, which has almost completely changed the way I teach the beginning class, moving away from 'Whose Line Is It Anyways' sort of 'games. These are all semester classes. 

I now see that Improv is an incredibly useful tool for actors, and can stand on it's own as a legitimate form. We most recently performed a 45 minute one act play, (8 characters)  with sets, lights, costumes and music....all improvised. There are tons of great resources which I'd be very happy to share. 

To answer your actual question, if done properly, this can easily be a serious 'unit' in any theatre curriculum. It supports your other work, and it really is fun. If I were teaching it as part of a longer course I would definitely do it at the start of the course.

Tom Schulz
    Singapore

• 3.  RE: improv--beginning of the semester or no?

Posted 09-05-2018 07:55

Ryan,

When I taught middle school, all of my courses were year-long (2 grade 6 beginning classes, grade 7 beginning and intermediate, and grade 8 advanced and  tech class.)  The beginning courses were grounded in improv; it was a part of each unit. After covering story format, for each teaching segment students would construct short scenes to demonstrate their understanding of things like use of stage space, objective/obstacle, etc. The kids wouldn't have a ton of time to develop/script these pieces, so we referred to it as semi-structured improv. Once their confidence grew in that area, we went on to more structured scene study and improv games- because they had the skills  to make them work.  

A note: we never did a play within classes. The groups were too big (55+ in beginning), and we had an after school program that did three shows/year. However, because of the class format, the students were performing at least every other week. 

There used to be a fairly good reference called Acting Through Improv: Improv Through Theatresports that gave a lesson sequence to build skills through improv.  It worked really well for middle school and high school. The authors were Belt and Stockley.  I am not sure if the book is still available.  

Suzanne Katz
    Washington DC

• 4.  RE: improv--beginning of the semester or no?

Posted 09-05-2018 08:15
    Hi Ryan,

At the high school level, I teach improv in a variety of ways depending on the makeup of the class.  For intro classes (Drama I), I also start with games and other improv strategies as both a way to both build the team and buy-in from those students that may be intimidated.  But even for middle-schoolers (whom I taught for over 10 years), improv is an invaluable tool to scaffold more complex theatre principles.

I use improv for my forensics team, dramatic writing classes, rehearsal process, and we also have an extra-curricular Improv Comedy team that performs throughout the year.  While I do use games as "filler" from time to time, I always emphasize how such activities build and improve other acting/writing skills.

As far as a comprehensive unit, I teach a 3-4 week "Improv Intensive" in which we cover the basic rules ("yes and," "making your partner perfect," "take risks," "work clean," etc.) and a variety of games from the basic categories of Physical Restriction, Verbal Restriction, and Hosting.  We also cover "judging" for competitive shows similar to "Theatre Sports" or "Comedy Sports."  Judging is a great way to get reluctant performers involved.

Above all, whether for middle school, high school, college, or adult classes, I've found teaching improv is essential for creative development.  The life skills instilled through a disciplined approach to improv have applications beyond theatre and have been of tremendous benefit to my students and my entire Theatre Arts program.

Break a leg!!!

Josh Ruben, M. Ed.
    Fine Arts Head
    Northwest Whitfield HS (dba, The Northwest Theatre Co.)
    Tunnel Hill, GA

• 5.  RE: improv--beginning of the semester or no?

Posted 09-05-2018 09:57
    I teach everything thru improv.  I start with it day one and never stop. 

As mentioned above, I too use Structured Improv - giving the actors time to create.  I agree, rarely do I have a group that is skilled enough in my beginning Acting classes that they can do straight Improv.  My High School Theatre Teacher taught through Improv, rooted in Spolin, and when I moved on to college I was frustrated because the pace of class seemed so slow without improv.  Just what I was used to, but I can see the merits of teaching with this methodology. 

In a beginning Acting class at the high school level in an 86 minute class we do warmups and focus, skill building, storytelling or performance.  When we add in scripted work, I incorporate skill strengthening with whatever each group needs during the improv part of class. Of course, there is direct instruction, but then those concepts are tied to an improvisation activity or scene.  This means that students are on stage performing for feedback every day.

Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 6.  RE: improv--beginning of the semester or no?

Posted 09-05-2018 10:19
    I think we probably all do improv all of the time at least a little bit; however, in terms of teaching it as a style of theatre where we teach "rules" and "games" that are specific to performance improv, in our program we wait until the end of the first year of our Acting 1 course to teach it and then students can continue on and take a course in Improv that we offer once every other year or so (there is only one improv course code offered in Florida). We also have an after school improv team that performs shows throughout the year. 

Acting 1 units for us go...
    Pantomime (often the entire first nine weeks which leaves them begging and ready to speak instead of afraid of it)
    Narrated performance
    Stock characters
    Student written scenes
    Playwriting and script analysis
    Classic scenes and playwrights
    History of theatre
    Improv. (works great during "testing season")

Kathleen McNulty Mann
    mcnulkl@bay.k12.fl.us

Program Director
    Arnold High School Theatre
    Thespian Troupe 6371
    Panama City Beach, FL

District 10 Chair & State Logistics
    Florida State Junior Thespians

Board Member
    Membership Committee Chair
    Florida Association for Theatre Education