Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Looking for dramatic vignette-style plays

Posted 12-13-2018 09:49
    My Advanced Drama students have a performance at the end of February. I'd like to find a dramatic vignette style play for them, since I think that would be easier to put together and rehearse. I'll have them read the Dining Room, but I'd love any other suggestions. It needs to be dramatic, since their other plays they are doing are goofy kid's shows (shout out to Bestest Bed Time Stories and Goldilocks on Trial - both tremendous fun!).  And please, no plays that start out with "High school can be hard." The kids spent some time looking for scripts yesterday and spent most of the time mocking the descriptions of "high school" plays. They would like something challenging and real.

------------------------------
    Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 2.  RE: Looking for dramatic vignette-style plays

Posted 12-14-2018 07:55
    Look at the RSC version of Arabian Nights by Dominic Cooke, which is a lovely blend of sweet and humorous stories with a meaningful frame tale. Metamorphoses would also work really well for your group.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 3.  RE: Looking for dramatic vignette-style plays

Posted 12-16-2018 20:22
    Judevine by David budbill was a lovely discovery for us a few years ago.  Some beautiful writing - the old couples story in particular is wrenching.

Brandon Becker
    Denver CO

• 4.  RE: Looking for dramatic vignette-style plays

Posted 12-18-2018 23:29
    We just closed All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten. It was amazing and very easy to adapt to whatever your cast is like. I had 3 high-schoolers, 7 middle schoolers, and a 3rd grader. We still rocked it. 

• 5.  RE: Looking for dramatic vignette-style plays

Posted 12-16-2018 20:58
    Neil Simon's The Good Doctor   ?

Rosalind Flynn
    Head of the M.A. in Theatre Education
    Director, The High School Drama Institute
    The Catholic University of America
    Washington, DC
    drama.cua.edu/graduate/MATE
    drama.cua.edu/summer