Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Lighting Program/console?

Posted 05-30-2018 12:16
    We went from an Element board to Light Jockey computer program when we got more intelligent/LED lights.  We have had nothing but problems with Light Jockey.. Can you tell me what lighting system you use?  Also, if I was to switch back to the Element, I don't think I have enough space for all of the new lights, what would you recommend without breaking the bank.  Would anyone buy my element, so I can upgrade to a better board?  What is the industry standard?  I was told the computer program would be the best route, but it has crashed 3 times for our spring musical and not easy to program and we need to turn off dimmers and breakers to get the lights to turn off after each use.. sounds ridiculous.. the console was great, but at the time we only had 4 LED Movers and they were hard to program with Element Console, now with all of the additional LED lights, I am concerned the Element wouldn't do? Please advise.. So frustrated.. professionals all tell you what they want to sell you.

--
    Christine Gatto Dougherty
    Delsea HS Theatre Teacher
    DHS Drama Club Advisor
    Co-Tech Advisor of DHS Auditorium
    DHS Musical Director

856.694.0100 x376

"Shimmy to the mic!"

• 2.  RE: Lighting Program/console?

Posted 05-30-2018 12:39
    We have no problem with our LED lights and Source 4 instruments using the Element. Yes, it's not the best board for moving instruments. I like the Element because it gives an idea of an older board but also has amazing digital features. You need to talk to an ETC rep.

------------------------------
    John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 3.  RE: Lighting Program/console?

Posted 05-31-2018 06:30
    Your Element either has 250 or 500 channels, if you have the smaller console you can purchase an upgrade to the larger from an ETC Dealer. In the console you can stack the fixture attributes on a channel, the question is how many fixtures or LEDs if you are in a larger space and 500 channels on 2 DMX Universes of 512 DMX values is not enough maybe changing to the Element 2 or an ION console makes sense, your Element console is the Base of what your students will be using most likely when they go on to college, typically the Light Jockey is used in the club and church markets. I would recommend having your local ETC dealer provide a training on your console, there will most likely be a charge for this, and have them show you how to properly integrate your lighting rig into your console.

Jerry Onik
    V.P. Theatrical Supplies and Equipment
    Omaha NE

• 4.  RE: Lighting Program/console?

Posted 05-31-2018 14:36

Whoever told you the Light Jockey would be better for a high school theatre should be hung from the grid!  It doesn't sound like it's an issue with the Element board, just an issue of patching/programming, or (unlikely, but you might want to have an inspection if all else fails) an issue with the system handling the increase in instruments (depending on how old your theatre and system is). 

You mentioned movers – if you have movers, upgrade to an Ion. Although I'd only recommend movers and an Ion for theatre programs that have a vocational program with theatre support staff that is 'tech savvy' (which all high school theatres should have(!), but that's another post...). Looks like right now www.usedlighting.com has several Ion boards for sale (and then you can recoup some of the cost by selling your Element there too). 

But, before you do anything, I also recommend contacting your ETC rep – they will become your best friends!

Beth Rand, EBMS
    Lighting Designer
    School Theatre Operations Coach

NEW!
    ONLINE TECH COURSES FOR STUDENTS AND TEACHERS http://www.presett.org/techieacademy.html . A great summer project!

HIGH SCHOOL THEATRE MANAGEMENT ONLINE COURSE for Drama Teachers: Summer session June 4th (half full, 4 spaces left). Fall session Sept 10th. http://www.presett.org/theatre-management-course.html

REP PLOT DESIGN - Never have to re-hang and re-focus all your lights again! http://www.presett.org/repplot.html

"HIGH SCHOOL THEATRE OPERATIONS" and more tech theatre books at http://www.presett.org/helpful-books-for-you.html.

www.PRESETT.org
    Westminster, CO

• 5.  RE: Lighting Program/console?

Posted 06-01-2018 13:47
    ​Good afternoon,

We used the ETC Element for years until we got an ION. The Element is a great board. We used the second universe for all the LED fixtures and had it wireless with the SHOWBABY units. They worked great and continue to work for us 5 years later. Also, most of the LEDs have settings that allow for the basics and only utilize a small number of channels.

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School

• 6.  RE: Lighting Program/console?

Posted 07-24-2018 07:40
    Beyond frustrated!!!!  All of your advice was wonderful.. I contacted ETC rep and he was great. He hooked me up with our local lighting company that distributes their consoles, installs and services.  We got a rep from the company to come out to our school, evaluate what we have and what we may need and then 5 weeks go by and we don't hear anything.  I sent emails and now still waiting for quote and plan.  Not feeling very confident with the customer service of this company.  I also have been referred to a used lighting equipment site.  It's great.. but I need a good eval from someone and also help with install so I don't get screwed again!!!  Been burnt before.. don't want to waste time and money.  Need easy to used console program for traditional lights and LED's and Rush Martin Movers.  Advice please!!!  I need to spend our money on other things in our space. Frustrated. WHO CAN YOU TRUST!!!

Christine Dougherty
    Theatre Teacher/Director
    Delsea Regional School District
    Franklinville NJ

• 7.  RE: Lighting Program/console?

Posted 07-25-2018 11:26
    Call ETC again and ask for another rep. Let them know you are upset with the non-response.

John Perry
    Retired Theatre Teacher