Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Help! Dramatic Play for new High School group

Posted 01-09-2020 09:38
    Hello!  I just re-started a theatre group at our high school last year.  I have a good group of talented kids I worked with when they were in middle school.  They have only done comedies at this point and I want to challenge them with something dramatic this year, but it needs to be something that will draw an audience too (so name recognition matters).  I I have mostly females, but a couple of strong males.  Looking for a cast size around ten, but that I could add  to, if necessary.  Need an easy set, because no real budget and no shop.  Ideas????

------------------------------
    Carmen Caldera-Brzoska
    Elizabethtown KY

• 2.  RE: Help! Dramatic Play for new High School group

Posted 01-09-2020 14:34
    I was going to say Wit - the right cast size and simple sets, but that probably doesn't have the name recognition. Maybe the Miracle Worker? It's the right size cast, and even though the script mentions the set being two stories, I'm sure you could simplify things.

P.S. - your niece Sarah is one of my students (I noticed your last name and just asked her)!

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 3.  RE: Help! Dramatic Play for new High School group

Posted 01-11-2020 10:58
    "She Kills Monsters" by Qui Nguyen certainly has name recognition right now.  It can be done with 10, as few as 3 males.  I had 16 in my cast, because I didn't double-cast any of the actors as named characters, using them as monsters instead. 

I highly recommend the Young Adventurers edition for high school.  (But don't bill it as that if you don't want children in the audience.)

Our set was only platforms.

C. J. Breland
    Retired Theatre Arts Educator
    Asheville NC