Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  I'm getting a Full Tech Class!

Posted 07-24-2018 14:15
    For nearly 15 years my single period of 8th Grade Play Production has been about 20ish actors and 8-12 Tech kids.  Our focus as far as Tech has just had to be on the nuts and bolts of putting up the show.  Now after begging for years, I'm getting a period of just General Theater Tech kids and I want to give them the attention and education they deserve.  For those of you well versed in Theater Tech, what units to you cover?  More importantly what's your scope/how do you pace and organize your year?  Our two shows are early November and Mid April, but I'm more concerned about what you do to create a well rounded techie by years end?  I've been using old posts a resource, but wanted to gather ideas in one place.  Thanks! Really excited to hit the ground running in a few weeks :)

------------------------------
    Stephen James
    Drama Teacher
    John Muir Middle School
    Burbank CA

• 2.  RE: I'm getting a Full Tech Class!

Posted 07-25-2018 11:51
    I start my first year, first quarter students off with tech jobs, hierarchy/employment opportunities. In middle school this means they can recreate an organization chart, make want ad posters, hold mock interviews. They can write reports about each tech job, or create presentations in groups which highlight each function of each tech job(lighting,sound,set,scenery,props, ect).

Second quarter we can delve into tools of each job, lighting instruments, microphones, power tools, paints. Whatever the job, what are the tools and how do they function. You can let kids who have experience present tools of their fav tech job. Lighting kids can bring in gels or gobos, set kids can show off wrenches,hammers, sanders. Sound kids can talk about mics.

Third quarter we will definitely cover safety exhaustively. My HS kids watch the OSHA theatre safety video and take the accompanying exam.

Fourth quarter students will cover design by learning about color, design elements, creating front elevations, costume renderings, model sets, creating light plots, and cue sheets. This is also the time for students to practice running lights, sound, basic set or scene construction, creating props, or putting costumes together. 

Because I am working with HS students, I have 4 years to get students into production. For me this means I take my time with first years really teaching safety and design so they know what they are doing. Keep in mind this is the most basic overview of how I organize a year. If you have any questions, feel free to email me directly:

fahnir@nv.ccsd.net

Rebecca Fahning
    Desert Pines High School Theatre/ Tech Director
    ITS Troupe 6125, Troupe Director
    Las Vegas NV

• 3.  RE: I'm getting a Full Tech Class!

Posted 07-26-2018 09:47
    Hi Stephen,

Congratulations of the new class. I would start by teaching the equipment you own. Anything we talk about/teach benefits from having a hands-on element. In each instance, you should incorporate both knowledge and skills. In our program, we start with rigging (2-3 weeks), lighting (including fixture function, hanging a plot, console programming, color, etc. 3-4 weeks), construction (lumber, drills, miter saw, fasteners 3-4 weeks). Safety is discussed along the way and in each skill area (power tools, rigging, fall arrest, etc.) students take both a written and practical exam.

Regardless of what you teach, please be certain that you know how to use the tools and equipment and can, in some form, document your training/understandings.

It also might be of benefit to you to investigate California's CTE standards/guidance for technical theatre. They can be found below along with some ancillary info.

https://www.cde.ca.gov/ci/ct/sf/documents/artsmedia.pdf

https://www.cteonline.org/curriculum/outline/introduction-to-professional-theatre-cte-online-model/C5pD86

https://leigh.cuhsd.org/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=442065&type=d&pREC_ID=954340

Have Fun,

Dana

Dana Taylor
    MSD of Mt. Vernon
    Evansville IN