Open Forum

View Only

12 Angry Jurors Knife

• 1.  12 Angry Jurors Knife

Posted 09-21-2017 17:03
    Hi everyone, looking for some info/advice on the switchblades for 12 Angry Jurors.

In the play there are two identical switchblades, both of which must be operable, and both of which must be thrust into a rubber mat imbedded in a table.

How have you handled this before? Did you use real switchblades? If you used a fake ones, did it still switch open and shut, and could it still be stabbed into the table? If so, could you share where you found them?

Help and thanks!

------------------------------
    Rachel Snow
    Drama and Technical Theater Teacher
    Alhambra High School
    Alhambra CA

• 2.  RE: 12 Angry Jurors Knife

Posted 09-22-2017 07:04
    For the switchblades, we used those cheap combs that look like knives. We shaved the tips down to a point and filled in the tines. Then we painted the fake blade silver. We made a few of these to use during the run because they were unreliable. 

As as for the matt, we made a few books out of styrofoam and hid them among other law books on the table. The comb was then thrust into the book and it stood up every time. 

We did our performances in the round, so the audience was very close. It seemed to work.

Jim Peterson
    Director of Theatre and Film
    Carmel IN

• 3.  RE: 12 Angry Jurors Knife

Posted 09-22-2017 11:20
    prop switchblade made from comb

Jim Peterson
    Director of Theatre and Film
    Carmel IN

• 4.  RE: 12 Angry Jurors Knife

Posted 09-22-2017 07:24
    I just did 12 Angry Jurors last spring.  I used the verenable switchblade comb (Amazon has a 2-pack for $6.50). and found an easy modification video on Youtube.  
    • Cut the black rubber comb and pull it out of the metal gutter that holds it.
    • Cut some of the box the knife came into the shape of a  blade.   
    • Slide the paper into the metal gutter that held the comb (you should be able to fold it double for a tighter fit and a sturdier blade) .
    • You want the tip of the paper blade to end a little bit before the tip of the metal gutter.  The gutter tip is blunt, but it will go through cardboard or stick into the foam  without causing the paper/foil blade to bend.
    • Take aluminum foil tape and wrapped it around the blade and smooth  the whole thing out.  
    The whole process takes about 3 minutes.  
    I  bought 2 2-packs, because Murphy's Law is more real in theater than it is anywhere else.
    Instead of cutting out a piece of my table and inserting foam, I rigged up a book made of styrofoam that was sitting on the table.  Worked like a charm!

Robert Ellis
    Theater I-IV Honors
    Performing Arts Department Lead
    Cosby High School
    Midlothian, VA

• 5.  RE: 12 Angry Jurors Knife

Posted 09-22-2017 07:56
    I have directed this show twice. One time I used butterfly knives that I completely blunted so they were no sharper than a regular butter knife. A butterfly knife can be impressive if your actors will spend the time learning how to handle it. The other time I searched the internet until I found switch blades I wanted to buy and then blunted them also. This can be done on a grinder. In my opinion, the butterfly knife worked better because of the abuse the knives take in rehearsal and performance. I had issues with the switch blade mechanism breaking down. 

--
    Ann Hileman, M.A.
    Executive Board of Indiana Thespians
    Indiana Thespian Hall of Fame

Maconaquah High School
    256 East 800 South
    Bunker Hill, IN 46914
    765-689-9131 x 5550 (phone)
    765-689-9528 (fax)

• 6.  RE: 12 Angry Jurors Knife

Posted 09-22-2017 08:01
    When we did it about 4 years ago, I used two of those switchblade combs, removed the comb and replaced it with a very heavy duty and stiff foil that looked like a blade. They still worked like a switchblade. We did not, however, stab it into the table. I just had them lay it on the table. I may be wrong but I don't think you can buy a real switchblade as they are illegal. Ours looked remarkably real even from a few feet away.

Ray Karns
    Theatre Teacher
    Wakefield School
    The Plains VA

• 7.  RE: 12 Angry Jurors Knife

Posted 09-22-2017 08:35

I ordered "switchblade" folding combs from amazon that we painted and cut to look pointed.  We stabbed them into some Styrofoam.  I think it worked really well!

Melissa Minton
    Rogers High School
    Drama/Speech Department

• 8.  RE: 12 Angry Jurors Knife

Posted 09-22-2017 09:35
    Hi Rachel,

When I did this show, we used a three ring binder that I removed the cardboard from the inside of the cover and put a half inch slab of Styrofoam in the binder that made it look like a stack of paper in the binder.  I covered the hole left in the vinyl on the cover with a sticker.  The actor had to aim for the sticker to get the knife into the Styrofoam, so it would stand up nicely.  I used real knifes that we ground down the edges of to make them more safe. I'm attaching a picture that shows what it looked like on the desk .

Robert DiMartino
    Theatre Teacher
    Cumberland High School
    Slatersville RI

• 9.  RE: 12 Angry Jurors Knife

Posted 09-22-2017 16:29
    I bought two of the switchblade combs and stripped off the comb part.  From that far away, no one could see the blade was just the metal housing that remained.

Irene Imboden
    Teacher/ Drama Director
    Troy City Schools
    OH

• 10.  RE: 12 Angry Jurors Knife

Posted 09-24-2017 09:53
    Rachel,

When I did this show two years ago, I used open assist knives from Amazon ($7 - $12) from Tac Force. If you grind the blades off, or have a local hardware store do it, they can easily go into a basal wood door frame or into an insert on a wall or table. They open like a switchblade and come in a variety of colors and sizes. Also, I find the combs tend to fail regularly. 

TAC-Force TF-428BW Folding Knife, Matte Spear Point Blade
    Amazon remove preview
    TAC-Force TF-428BW Folding Knife, Matte Spear Point Blade
    The TAC Force Assisted Opening Folding Knife (TF-428 Series) features a spear point blade and a handsome inlay handle with a 5-inch closed length. Offering easy one-handed deployment, this spring assisted open folding knife locks securely into place with the use of its liner lock. This knife feat...
    View this on Amazon >

- Jason

Jason Robert LeClair, MA
    Artist/Arts Educator
    Director, Thespian Troupe 7444
    Beacon Charter High School for the Arts
    Woonsocket, RI

• 11.  RE: 12 Angry Jurors Knife

Posted 09-25-2017 10:48
    We also used the assisted-open folding knives. We saw another production where they used foam books. The plastic combs sounded, as one might expect, like they were piercing styrofoam. It had the same effect as fingernails on a chalkboard with some of our actors. We made our tables with plywood tops and the knives stood up perfectly. We had no problems and a very responsive audience.

Kate Costello
    Theater director
    Arlington Heights IL

• 12.  RE: 12 Angry Jurors Knife

Posted 09-25-2017 08:45
    Lots of ways of doing this, obviously from the responses so far...  do what you are comfortable with.

We used real switch-blades (blunted, of course) made a table from plywood and 2X4s - and it took a beating, but our audience was as close as 3-4 feet so we wanted a real-feel (we went in the round - on the deck).  any blade or fake blade you use... I would keep it well locked between shows/rehearsals.

have fun, and keep it intense!

[Drama] [Dan] []
    [Drama Teacher/Director]
    [Dublin Coffman HS]
    [Dublin] [Ohio]