Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Acting Techniques II

Posted 05-11-2019 05:51
    Is there anyone who'd like to share an outline of what they cover in this class? I'm preparing to teach it for the first time next year. As the class for my advanced acting students, much of the time will be rehearsing and preparing for our three productions. However, I want to make sure I cover all the major points along the way. Thank you. 
    --
    Mrs. Tina Miller
    Theatre Arts Instructor
    Oak & Ivy Theatre Director
    Leeds High and Middle Schools 

Art is about thinking, and choices.
    Art is about how you respond to the world around you.

• 2.  RE: Acting Techniques II

Posted 05-13-2019 09:05
    My class is taught independent of working productions so I teach it like a college level acting class so some of this may be

The first week or so I do a brush up unit of things I would hope they come in with from Acting I (subext, inner monologue, beats/units, objectives, body centers, etc.)  I do this because students are inevitably still enrolling and changing schedules etc.

1st unit - Monologue Redux (They have to prepare a monologue they did in Acting I using the basic tools above...They do it once with no coaching and then we do coaching and they do it again...which is taught by a different teacher)

2nd unit - Stanislavski and realism (I do some exercises and then they do scene work for Proof)

2A - Hagen, Meisner, Strasberg, Adler, and other American Acting teachers (I dabble in these but never have time to go that deep)  Sometimes I have the class do a BOE from Hagen, some repetition exercises from Meisner, etc.  But overall too much is there to cover in one year unless you take small pieces.

3rd unit - Michael Chekhov and the expressive actor (Again some exercises and scene work this time for Rabbit Hole)  This is my own passion and where I'm trained the most so it might not work for everyone

4th unit - Comedy and/or some time on Focus on character types and stakes (I use different plays here but usually go with Dead Man's Cellphone)

5th unit - British dialect and comedy of manners (Exercises plus scene from Importance of Being Earnest)

6th unit - Shakespeare (I usually do monologues)

Again some of these units switch and the plays switch based on the class size and makeup.  Also, I'm adding in a classical farce section where I cover Moliere.

If you are doing this for in-between work you can do mini-sections and skip the scene work.  Just do some exercises.  I also ask my students to do a research paper on a chosen technique and/or theatre practitioner from a list that I provide.

Hope this helps and isn't too rambling.  Let me know if you'd like clarity.

------------------------------
    Joel King
    Atlanta GA

• 3.  RE: Acting Techniques II

Posted 05-13-2019 09:40
    This is great Joel. Thank you so much for sharing!

Tina Miller
    Leeds AL

• 4.  RE: Acting Techniques II

Posted 05-13-2019 10:21
    Wow, that lineup looks great. I might steal some ideas. 

In the first semester, we focus on scene study using Michael Shurtleff's Audition. In the second semester we switch to A Practical Handbook for the Actor. I also sprinkle in mini-units on most of the same practitioners previously referenced, as well as Viewpoints, commedia, voice, and scene composition.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 5.  RE: Acting Techniques II

Posted 05-13-2019 10:33
    Since I am new to all this, this info is priceless! Thanks so much!

Tina Miller
    Leeds AL

• 6.  RE: Acting Techniques II

Posted 05-13-2019 12:12
    My Acting classes are semester classes.  My units for Acting II are:  Shakespeare - focusing on the text and what the text tells us and types of cues.  Realism - focusing on the relationships and beats.   Contemporary Comedy - focusing on timing and physicality.  I end with Headshots, Resumes and an audition portfolio.  

I used to start with Greek theatre and focus on making bold physical choices, but I always ran out of time so sadly it had to go.  

Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 7.  RE: Acting Techniques II

Posted 05-13-2019 12:19
    Amy, love how you end it with Headshots, Resume, and Audition Portfolio. Nice.

Tina Miller
    Leeds AL

• 8.  RE: Acting Techniques II

Posted 05-13-2019 12:30
    Oh, I totally forgot about my "Professional Materials" unit. I also do headshots and resumes, but I do them the first few weeks of school so they have them available for college auditions and our show. I hit audition portfolios at the end of junior year.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 9.  RE: Acting Techniques II

Posted 05-15-2019 14:59
    Hi,

For my advance acting class I assign a summer reading book that we discuss the first week of class. 
    I also assign two to three books that we will use in the year as well as two plays that we will discuss during the course of the year. 

In my beginning acting class we study Stanislavski primarily, so in the advanced class we do an in depth unit on the Laban Method as well as study Stanford Meisner and Uta Hagen. We also continue with the craft exercises (Jon Jory) that we started in the beginning acting class.

Students are expected to learn and present one new monologue every four weeks. We also do a scene unit. My junior and seniors do an in-depth directing unit and then direct a 10 minute one act for our upper school showcase. 

In my beginning class the students learn how to write resumes so in the advanced class students learn about portfolios and how to create a websites.

Students also do a theatre history project where I assign them a time period. They do a scene from this time period as well. 

We also read and discuss various articles that I pull regarding BFA vs BA programs, What It means to have a diverse theatre program, etc.

We do a Shakespeare unit, a musical theatre unit and a unit on improvisation.

My seniors do a theatre capstone project. They submit their proposals in June before their senior year. 

Feel free to email me to about the books and resources I use or if you have any other questions. 

Elise
    emarinkovich@francisparker.org

Elise Marinkovich
    Drama Teacher/Director, Drama Club Advisor
    San Diego CA

• 10.  RE: Acting Techniques II

Posted 05-16-2019 08:58
    Thank you Elise! What are some examples of the reading you assign them?

Tina Miller
    Leeds AL