Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Percussion in a musical

Posted 12-19-2019 11:50
    HI All,

I've written a musical and am trying to arrange it.    I had an idea of using the cast to stomp and clash swords to create most of the percussion for some of the songs.    I don't have much experience with how this would actually sound in a high school theatre.   I assume most high schools can't mike the stage so that it sounds like "the River Dance" when the kids slide their feet or actually hit their feet on the floor.    Don't know if swords parrying would be loud enough to hear in the back rows.    Any thoughts?    Maybe having a percussionist double the sound so they are hitting a crash cymbal at the same time as two swords are clashing?    Hoping some feedback will help me decide if I need to add a percussionist to my musicians for a performance.    Thanks, Leon.

------------------------------
    Leon Kaye
    Playwright for the Ages
    Lhk@koa1.com

• 2.  RE: Percussion in a musical

Posted 12-20-2019 10:33
    Leon,
    As an actor and a drummer, I really like your idea! My thoughts: 1. I think more high schools than you think will have mics of one sort or another, so that might not be an issue. Also, platforms function much like drums when actors stomp on them, so a director can easily have the stomping actors in strategic places for better sound. As for the swords, if they are real metal (not fake, platic, etc.) their sound should carry just fine.

In addition, if the place producing your show has a percussionist who uses electronic percussion (like I do), those devices usually have special effects noises, including stomps. Others have the ability to sample sounds and play them back by hitting a trigger pad. So, you could sample various versions of sword clangs and have those played, as well.

Bottom line - you should feel free to write your show the way you want and let the producing company figure out how to do it. :)  Oh, and as a drummer, I will say that every show is better with percussion! :)

Kevin Welsh
    Auditorium Director
    Columbus East High School

• 3.  RE: Percussion in a musical

Posted 12-20-2019 15:55
    Thanks Kevin.

I think then the play might work without a percussionist (or of course the school could use one on their own if they do choose).   I was worried more about the swordfight between only two swordsmen and their sound carrying.

I assume that theatres are allowed to use metal epees or swords or whatever as long as they have rubber tips...   If they don't want to use metal, they would need a percussionist, so it's the matter of personnel.

Leon Kaye
    Playwright for the Ages
    Lhk@koa1.com