Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Student Board Officers elected or appointed

Posted 03-05-2018 15:12

A quick question.  I can't really find an answer in the International constitution so I thought I'd check here.  Do student officers have to be elected to an established thespian troupe's board.  The constitution states they are appointed for a new troupe and then elected.  

Just wondering how everyone else does it.  The past few years have turned into popularity contests with many unqualified people being elected.  I feel the only way to move things in the right direction is to have Thespians write letters of intent and I will appoint the positions.  At least until we get back on track.  

Thanks, 

------------------------------
    Chuck Yarmey
    Advisor/Technical Director
    Wyoming Area Drama Club
    Thespian Troupe 4795
    Exeter PA

• 2.  RE: Student Board Officers elected or appointed

Posted 03-05-2018 16:52
    I had the same problem several years ago.  Now my officers are selected much the same way as my auditions run.  Interested students fill out an application then they interview in front of a panel made up from our Production Team and graduating student leadership.  If you make the change from nominated and voted on to appointed you just need to make it clear in your Troupe's constitution.  Follow proper procedures to amend and file your constitution and make sure all your current Troupe members are aware of the changes.  I would also suggest having more than just you make the decision.  
    It has made a huge difference in the leadership of my Troupe.

Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 3.  RE: Student Board Officers elected or appointed

Posted 03-06-2018 08:13
    In our troupe, most officers self-nominate and then are subject to election from the active membership.

--
    Mark A. Zimmerman
    Theatre Director,

Akron School for the Arts
    Firestone High School
    470 Castle Blvd
    Akron, Ohio 44313

330-761-3275

FirestoneTheatre.com

• 4.  RE: Student Board Officers elected or appointed

Posted 03-06-2018 09:22
    I'm pretty sure you can choose your board/officers any way that you want. We do have elections, but the criteria to run for us is strict enough that it makes it so only the qualified can run. We also have two set of officers - drama club officers and ITS officers. So, that also helps make sure the most qualified and mature end up on the ITS board.

Kristi Jacobs-Stanley
    New Orleans LA

• 5.  RE: Student Board Officers elected or appointed

Posted 03-06-2018 09:30
    In my troupe, we have applications for interested potential board members. We then schedule interviews with each applicant to discuss which roles they could be suited for. After the interviews we send out a letter with our suggestions of what they should run for. They put up campaign posters and give a speech at one of our club meetings and then-
    The company elects: President, Vice President, Secretary, Historian, and Publicity Head
    Then I appoint: Captain Thespian and Tech Liaison

Carina Stiles
    Theatre Teacher
    Phoenix AZ

• 6.  RE: Student Board Officers elected or appointed

Posted 03-06-2018 09:32
    We being myself and the current President (unless he/she is running again for board-in which case we interview with a graduating senior from the board or company)

Carina Stiles
    Theatre Teacher
    Phoenix AZ

• 7.  RE: Student Board Officers elected or appointed

Posted 03-07-2018 16:42
    What we tend to also see happen was that some candidates (really only 1 or 2 over 4 years) were really only going for certain positions in order to 'pad resumes' for college, so we did away with the voting thing too. As a previous poster stated, as long as the change is communicated to the students and is made clear in your troupe's constitution, you can nominate, appoint, vote, rock-paper-scissors it however you want. Just be sure to make use of your students officers and keep them busy; I found I had much more success when we dedicated a time slot after school every week for our officer meetings than when we just called meetings arbitrarily whenever a big thing was coming up. Regular involvement weeds out the dedicated 'do'-ers from the slackers. 

Good luck in whatever you end up choosing to do!

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor

Etobicoke ON

• 8.  RE: Student Board Officers elected or appointed

Posted 03-07-2018 17:14
    Perhaps you could just approve nominees before elections. I sympathize with you about needing dedicated officers. My drama club has two who are ready and willing at a drop of a hat and two who are like horses I keep leading to water. Without the election, though, the possibility of failure gets mitigated. My own personal philosophy: students need to crash and burn now and again. That chance of failure is frustrating when you are being judged on their work, but it's important. Also, this may be one of the few opportunities students take to participate in democratic society. Perhaps being involved in this decision will teach your thespians better citizenship. Just my two cents.

Robert Lussier
    Drama Club Advisor
    Hanover Area School District
    Hanover Twp. PA