Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  great film to watch for historical accuracy of Louis XIV, Moliere?

Posted 11-08-2018 10:44
    I'm teaching Tartuffe in my history of theater class and I'd love to play a clip from a film that shows the extravagance, pomp, glory, etc of the royal French theater of Moliere's time. Both a play itself and theater-going. Any ideas? Thank you!

------------------------------
    Arden Thomas
    Sequoyah High School
    Pasadena CA

• 2.  RE: great film to watch for historical accuracy of Louis XIV, Moliere?

Posted 11-08-2018 11:47
    The film Moliere (2007) is a not only some great background on the man himself and his theatre<g class="gr_ gr_18 gr-alert gr_tiny gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Grammar only-ins replaceWithoutSep" id="18" data-gr-id="18">,</g> it is also beautifully designed.   It is a fictional Shakespeare in <g class="gr_ gr_135 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Grammar only-ins doubleReplace replaceWithoutSep" id="135" data-gr-id="135">Love</g><g class="gr_ gr_135 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_disable_anim_appear Grammar only-ins doubleReplace replaceWithoutSep" id="135" data-gr-id="135">-style</g> story about some lost time in Moliere's life.
    Also, Ridicule (1996) is pretty great!  Both are in French. 
    Those are the ones off the top of my head, but I'll add some if I think of any more.

Elana Kepner
    Theatre Instructor
    The Oakwood School
    Greenville NC

• 3.  RE: great film to watch for historical accuracy of Louis XIV, Moliere?

Posted 11-09-2018 09:28
    The is another French film called Le Roi Danse from 2000.  You DEFINITELY CANNOT show the whole film in school, but there are several clips on YouTube that are appropriate.  The film centers on the music of Lully, so there is a lot of dancing and spectacle involved.  Almost all of it takes place during Louis' teen years, so it is pre-Versailles; however, you will still get the strong sense of ceremony that you are looking for.

Justin Charles
    Theater Manager
    Round Lake High School
    Round Lake IL