Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Fizzy Lifting Room

Posted 10-17-2017 14:35
    We are getting ready to launch Willy Wonka Jr in a couple weeks. I am sort of at a loss on how to do the Fizzy Lifting room without actually flying Grandpa and Charlie. Any ideas?

------------------------------
    Douglas Parks
    "Staging Pawsiblities" Director
    Blennerhassett Middle School
    Parkersburg WV

• 2.  RE: Fizzy Lifting Room

Posted 10-17-2017 15:02
    From quickly taking a run at YouTube videos of the fizzy lifting room onstage, it seems like the go-to solution is to have students climb a ladder* and/or step up on blocks and/or wave their arms around wildly. I personally would give a hard pass to all of these solutions. If your school can't actually fly them, then I would see what could be done with a swing-set. I would check out aerial yoga hammocks/swings, which have an aesthetic that could easily match the Chocolate Factory and also provide good movement (while still being safe for middle school students). Or even just free-standing swings (or flying saucer swings) could be a decent and safe solution. Anything that mimics the fluid movement of flying.

* While I don't like the ladder idea, maybe two free-standing spiral staircases? Maybe not.

Victoria Chatfield
    Executive Director
    National Theatre for Student Artists
    www.nationalstudenttheatre.org
    vchatfield@nationalstudenttheatre.org

• 3.  RE: Fizzy Lifting Room

Posted 10-18-2017 10:15
    We did not fly Grandpa and Charlie.  Grandpa and Charlie stood on top of a staircase and did simple choreographed moves, bending knees, up on toes, and flapping, while several Oompa Loompas with Large Bubble Props danced around them.  It was very effective.  We did similar things with all the scenes, where it looked like all the "accidents" and events were orchestrated and manipulated by Wonka and the Oompa Loompas.

Michael Klimzak
    Drama Club Advisor
    Beach Park IL

• 4.  RE: Fizzy Lifting Room

Posted 10-18-2017 06:05
    You could possibly do it with lighting effects and lifts hidden in scenery, like crank lifts heating and cooling companies use, if you do decide to fly people, I strongly recommend using professional companies to do it safely.

Jerry Onik
    V.P. Theatrical Supplies and Equipment
    Omaha NE

• 5.  RE: Fizzy Lifting Room

Posted 10-18-2017 11:04
    When we did it, we made a sort of see-saw piece that backed up to our black traveler. We had 2 apparatuses and there was a long end on each with a seat that stuck out under the curtain. The fulcrum was behind the curtain and  the shorter end was manned by bigger students. We used tight spots on them and actual bubbles to obscure the apparatus.

Stephen French
    Director/Instructor
    Mobile AL

• 6.  RE: Fizzy Lifting Room

Posted 10-19-2017 07:31
    This may be a simplistic answer, but I have used this in the past to great success. Basically, you create a seesaw. You will need 12' or 16' 2"x12" boards. Create a fulcrum in the middle with pipe on a stand using a simple triangle base. Use "U" clamps to secure the board to the pipe once you have worked out the placement of the fulcrum. Placement of the fulcrum will make it easier on your techs raising and lowering the actors. The actor sits on one side of the board (I usually create some type of seat with a seatbelt they can fasten or handholds they can hold on to) and techs push down and up on the other end. Focus a follow spot on the actors as they go up and down, add bubbles from the sides or above, and this should do it.

Bruce Taws
    Mosley Drama

The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer. Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public-records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.

• 7.  RE: Fizzy Lifting Room

Posted 10-19-2017 13:01
    We had great results by a strong shaft of down light, and hung one or two bubble machines adjacent to the light. This was down center stage. Curtains were drawn in to create the visual of a vertical shaft. Bubbles fell, actors simply "floated" with acting and pantomime skills. The downward movement of the bubbles combined with the lighting effect helped with the illusion quite well.

Keith Burns
    Theatre Arts Director
    Paradise Valley AZ