Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Storytelling

Posted 01-03-2020 15:42
    How many 50 minute class periods could/should be dedicated to a storytelling unit using the Moth model? I've never done this before. Thanks.

------------------------------
    Shanda Bonn, M.Ed.
    Theatre Teacher
    Simi Valley High School
    Simi Valley CA

• 2.  RE: Storytelling

Posted 01-04-2020 09:30
    I did a moth storytelling unit for the second time this past semester and will definitely be doing it again. It was perfect for illustrating how the Aristotelian plot line manifests in preforming the story and students shared some amazing stories. We took two weeks - there was a lot of journaling ahead of time to prepare for the story they would eventually use, and then I had them practice their story several times before presenting. I didn't plan as much rehearsal time previously, and it definitely showed. Adding the caveat that we do Improv on Fridays, it took us about 8 sessions to write and perform them. There is a Moth Lesson Plan set on this thread somewhere if you search past conversations- or I can send it to you if you give me your email address. Happy New Year and good luck!

Megan Upton-Tyner
    Drama Instructor
    Newton KS

• 3.  RE: Storytelling

Posted 01-05-2020 17:02
    Hi,

I am interested in learning about Moth storytelling, as well.  I'd like my students to devise a script in my drama 2 class and this sounds like a great jumping off point.  If you find the link, do you mind posting it to the group?

Thanks,
    Sheila Newton
    Mansfield, MA

• 4.  RE: Storytelling

Posted 01-04-2020 17:52
    The Moth offers free online resources for teachers on their website. They may have a unit plan there. I can't check them myself being a retired teacher, they're only available to active teachers.

Ron Sopyla
    Beacon NY

• 5.  RE: Storytelling

Posted 01-05-2020 17:53
    Just google The Moth, they have a link to their education program.