Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Sword Fighting Play

Posted 12-07-2019 05:30
    Has anybody done a production of Robin Hood?  Looking for a great outdoor show for late spring.  If so, best adaptation?  Thanks!

This is a staff email account managed by Woodberry Forest School.  This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender.

• 2.  RE: Sword Fighting Play

Posted 12-08-2019 14:26
    I directed The Adventures of Robin Hood that was published by Classics on Stage 5 years ago and had so much fun with it. It provided lots of casting options, the playwright has two versions, expanded cast and smaller cast. I liked the opportunity to showcase my female actor's in stage combat as well as the male actors. I incorporated some dance numbers and had a lot of fun with entire adventure of the piece. I think it would be an ideal script for you to consider.  You can also read most of it online.  http://www.classicsonstage.com/scriptsrobinhood.html

I found it had a nice amount of humor and that helped keep the audience laughing. The sword fighting sequences are as many or as few as you desire. I had about 7, and that helped with the pace and excitement in the show.

Here's to a grand adventure!

------------------------------
    John Rutherford
    Groves Performing Arts Company
    W.E. Groves High School
    Beverly Hills MI

• 3.  RE: Sword Fighting Play

Posted 12-14-2019 09:43
    Thanks very much!  Just ordered the script.  I appreciate your suggestion.  Brent

Brent Cirves
    Chair, Fine Arts Department
    Byron Hulsey, Headmaster, WFS
    Woodberry Forest VA

• 4.  RE: Sword Fighting Play

Posted 12-14-2019 09:44
    Thanks very much.  Just ordered the script.  I appreciate the suggestion.  Brent

Brent Cirves
    Chair, Fine Arts Department
    Byron Hulsey, Headmaster, WFS
    Woodberry Forest VA

• 5.  RE: Sword Fighting Play

Posted 12-08-2019 17:23
    For a fun, irreverent play...take a look at The somewhat True Tale of Robin Hood.  We did it in the round several years ago. It was a big hit. It would make a great outdoor piece. The author is wonderful to work with. she came to our production and was very much loved by my students.
    Cathy

Cathy Archer
    Rutland VT

• 6.  RE: Sword Fighting Play

Posted 02-19-2020 16:57
    Ken Ludwig has an adaptation called Sherwood:  The adventures of Robin Hood that I hope to do next fall.  It's funny and swashbuckling. He also wrote a play based on The Three Musketeers.

Lisa Crew
    Myrtle Point OR