Open Forum

View Only

Twelve Angry Men/Jurors Question

• 1.  Twelve Angry Men/Jurors Question

Posted 12-07-2017 08:16
    I'm interested in doing Twelve Angry Men next year, but I heard that there is a version that isn't 12 male roles, but instead allows you to use either gender for them. Does anyone know if there is an actual different script for this? Or if you jut need to get permission from the publisher? I'd really love to do it, but I don't have 12 strong male actors.

------------------------------
    Heather Cribbs
    Theatre Director
    New Smyrna Beach High School
    New Smyrna Beach, FL

• 2.  RE: Twelve Angry Men/Jurors Question

Posted 12-07-2017 08:45
    You use both Men/Women scripts and do a mash-up with them.

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 3.  RE: Twelve Angry Men/Jurors Question

Posted 12-07-2017 09:06
    What Mr. Perry said - You'll need to buy scripts (either Twelve Angry Men or Twelve Angry Women) for everyone, but buy yourself one of each and cherry-pick your working script based on your needs. I waited till after auditions and did it based on who I wanted to use, but you could also do it beforehand if you know which gender you'd like each role to be.

I've done this play twice, and it gets more "That was so much better than I thought it would be" comments than any other show I remember working on. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 4.  RE: Twelve Angry Men/Jurors Question

Posted 12-07-2017 09:44
    It's incredibly timely!
    Also...only give your kiddos one version because 12 Angry Men is page numbered differently than 12 Angry Women and it will be a constant pebble in the show.  (see what I did there? :-)

Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 5.  RE: Twelve Angry Men/Jurors Question

Posted 12-07-2017 09:47
    ​Good morning,

Loved this production and had a mixed cast. Actually performed with audience on the stage in real time so that they felt as if they were in the jury room too. very effective.

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School

• 6.  RE: Twelve Angry Men/Jurors Question

Posted 12-07-2017 14:19
    Thank you all! I'll buy one of each and pick and choose depending who comes to auditions. It won't be until October of next year, so I have plenty of time to play.

Thanks again!

Heather Cribbs
    Theatre Director
    New Smyrna Beach High School
    New Smyrna Beach, FL

• 7.  RE: Twelve Angry Men/Jurors Question

Posted 12-08-2017 05:02
    There is a version called 12 Angry Jurors.

Sent from my iPad

• 8.  RE: Twelve Angry Men/Jurors Question

Posted 12-08-2017 08:44
    Unless there has been a new script released titled 12 Angry Jurors, there is not a separate script.  I was confused about this when I chose to do the show last spring.  I was instructed by the publisher to purchase either 12 men or 12 women and if using a mixed cast to change the name to 12 Jurors.  12 Angry Jurors exists in name only.

Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 9.  RE: Twelve Angry Men/Jurors Question

Posted 12-08-2017 08:47
    I did 12 Angry Men two years ago at our school. We used the regular script and then had the kids change the articles (he to she, him to her) after we had the show cast. It was easier because everyone had the same script and could all follow along together.

Carlos Jordan
    Performing Arts Teacher
    Miami FL

• 10.  RE: Twelve Angry Men/Jurors Question

Posted 12-08-2017 11:26
    I did a scene with a mixed gender cast for State Thespian Festival last month and we used the "Twelve Angry Men" script.  I'm not certain how the "Twelve Angry Women" script differs (other than the obvious changes), but I think using just the one script worked nicely.  

We won second place in group acting with the scene and we are looking in to doing the full show in the near future.

Derek Friederich
    Thespian Troupe 417/Speech Coach/Jr. High Drama/Fine Arts Center Technical Director
    Postville IA

• 11.  RE: Twelve Angry Men/Jurors Question

Posted 12-08-2017 13:39
    I did this years ago (1995) and adapted it for a one-act competition and used several women.  There aren't that many gender-specific roles.

Janette Clark
    Drama Teacher
    Minneapolis KS