Open Forum

View Only

Adventure/Quest story with female protagonist

• 1.  Adventure/Quest story with female protagonist

Posted 07-24-2018 11:44
    Anyone have suggestions for an adventure/quest/journey story with a female protagonist and additional female roles? Something like Alice in Wonderland, Treasure Island, Shipwrecked! An Entertainment. Something that's more of a historical journey would be fine, too (like tales from the Oregon trail, is that a thing?) as long as it lends itself to some theatricality and imaginative storytelling. 

Side note: we have considered most of Mary Zimmerman's scripts (which seem to fit the bill) but have eliminated them for this year for various reasons.

------------------------------
    Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 2.  RE: Adventure/Quest story with female protagonist

Posted 07-25-2018 06:32
    Dorothy in Wonderland, from Pioneer, is fantastic. It plops Dorothy and her friends in Wonderland, after a tornado touches down in Oz. It has a musical and non musical version. It has been one of my favorite shows, to date. The characters are familiar, the worlds are familiar and the script is witty.

• 3.  RE: Adventure/Quest story with female protagonist

Posted 07-25-2018 09:30
    She Kills Monsters by Qui Nyugen, but may not be appropriate for your audience

Different sorts of quests that have female leads and other female parts but are small casts:
    A Piece of My Heart by Shirley Lauro (nurses in Vietnam)
    These Shining Lives by Melanie Marnich (women who painted radium on watches)
    Dead Man's Cell Phone by Sarah Ruhl
    Sense and Sensibility by Kate Hamill
    Saint Joan by George Bernard Shaw
    The Intelligent Design of Jenny Chow by Rolin Jones (rather quest-like, but may be inappropriate)

• 4.  RE: Adventure/Quest story with female protagonist

Posted 07-26-2018 10:45
    If you do She Kills Monsters, consider the Young Adventurers Edition.  I think it is better than the one where there is a gap of a decade between the younger sister dying and the older sister playing D & D.  (On the advice of troupe members, we did not publicize it as the "Young Adventurers Edition."  Students were concerned that parents would bring young children, and I think they were right about that.)

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC

• 5.  RE: Adventure/Quest story with female protagonist

Posted 07-25-2018 09:56
    Men on Boats by Jaclyn Backhaus would be worth a look.

Rob Kimbro
    Director of Fine Arts
    Duchesne Academy
    HoustonTX

• 6.  RE: Adventure/Quest story with female protagonist

Posted 07-25-2018 11:24
    Depending on your school, She Kills Monsters by Qui Nguyen is great. My students ate it up! Stong female characters. There are two versions, the "Young Adventurers" version which I don't care for, and the "adult" version which is much better but has some situations and language you might not be able to put on stage. You might get permission to change the language.

John Perry
    Retired Theatre Teacher

• 7.  RE: Adventure/Quest story with female protagonist

Posted 07-26-2018 15:46
    Men on Boats is a fantastic play, but not for high school. Same for She Kills Monsters. If you are doing those shows with high school students you must have a very liberal administration and then more power to you. But if you are doing those shows and changing language and situation you are making both illegal and anti-playwright decisions.

Break a leg and may all your theatre seats be filled.

Kelly Thomas

Poteet Pirate Theatre

• 8.  RE: Adventure/Quest story with female protagonist

Posted 07-25-2018 14:20
    She Kills Monsters is wonderful.

• 9.  RE: Adventure/Quest story with female protagonist

Posted 07-26-2018 08:16
    Yes, Cora, I meant to give a shout-out to your Two Princesses of Bamarre, which definitely meets the criteria and is still on my list of possibilities. Your She Ventures is still on my to-read list, but I'll take a look at Malarkey, too, if you don't mind sharing.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Fishersville VA

• 10.  RE: Adventure/Quest story with female protagonist

Posted 07-26-2018 15:38
    Check out Mark Medoff's STEPHANIE HERO - it's a real gem!  If you haver any kids who are into Comic-con type stuff, they will LOVE it!

http://www.dramatists.com/cgi-bin/db/single.asp?key=827

THE STORY: Imagine: Your father goes off to be a hero and you are left to deal with everything. Your mother doesn't want to mother anymore so you have to. Your brothers and sister need to be taken care of so you take care of them. The really scary thing is that your father is the king and your mother, the queen. You are a princess and you have to take control. And you're just a young girl. Throw in an evil sorcerer, a dragon, several spells, a mysterious knight and some swans, and you're off on a most delightful journey. First Stefanie's mother is turned into a tear drop and her brothers and sister are turned into swans. This is all the doings of the evil Leopold T. Bosco. Why is he doing this? He wants Stefanie all to himself. But, with the aid of Horace, the sorcerer's assistant, and Debra, a real swan, Stefanie sets off to tackle the tasks that right all the wrongs. She must collect a scale from the tail of Madame Zhenobia, the dragon from the Kingdom of the Stars, take a thistle from Madame's garden, and many more adventures to conquer the evils she faces. It's just not easy being a princess these days.

Jeff Bengford
    Performing Arts Chair & Theatre Director, Westmont High School
    Campbell, CA
    www.WestmontDrama.com

• 11.  RE: Adventure/Quest story with female protagonist

Posted 07-27-2018 10:26
    Thanks for the tips, everyone! I'm going to order Stefanie Hero in my next Dramatists order along with Rough Magic (not sure I can pull that one off) and a version of Treasure Island written with a female protagonist. I'll hold off on Men in Boats and She Kills... as I think both may be too adult based on comments here.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Fishersville VA

• 12.  RE: Adventure/Quest story with female protagonist

Posted 07-29-2018 01:45
    Please let me know what version you find with a female lead of Treasure Island.

Maria Stadtmueller
    StadtFamily@juno.com

Sent from my iPhone

• 13.  RE: Adventure/Quest story with female protagonist

Posted 07-30-2018 08:12
    This is the one I'm ordering. Jim is written to be played by a woman, and there are a few other women's roles as well. If I do this, I'll still have to have girls in pants roles as some of the male pirates, but what else is new at my school? :-)

Dramatists Play Service, Inc.
    Dramatists remove preview
    Dramatists Play Service, Inc.
    "Jim Hawkins becomes a girl rebelling against gender roles in this imaginative adaptation, which keeps alive the wit and excitement of the book...it offers variations on Stevenson's original without vandalising it...This version, like the book, is a tribute to the wit, honour and resourcefulness of children..." -The Guardian (US).
    View this on Dramatists >

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Fishersville VA

• 14.  RE: Adventure/Quest story with female protagonist

Posted 07-31-2018 12:41
    Is this version a musical?

Sent from my iPhone