Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Lucky Stiff

Posted 09-20-2017 13:38
    Has anyone successfully done Lucky Stiff with an expanded cast? If so, do you have any tips or advice? I love it, and my group is really into it this year, but I want to make sure it provides enough performance opportunities.

------------------------------
    Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 2.  RE: Lucky Stiff

Posted 09-21-2017 06:14
    We did it 4 years ago with a cast of 20.  We had some doubling of roles but not everybody.  You could do a larger cast but eventually the stage time starts to be small for some. 

The cast LOVED the show and it was a big hit with our audience.  

The show is really charming, has great music and I'm always surprised more people don't know about it.

Christopher Sheldon
    Performing Arts Teacher
    Bancroft School
    Worcester MA

• 3.  RE: Lucky Stiff

Posted 09-21-2017 06:27
    Oops, sent that too soon.

I divided the roles like you see below.  The women generally had one role + chorus.  The guys often were doubled.  You could definitely put women into some of the small male roles.  I tried to get chorus members into every place where it made sense.  

We had no pushback for the bedroom  scene, but we are an independent school in MA which means we have more leeway than most.  

For set, we had a permanent unit set for Harry's room in Monte Carlo.  That was hidden with drops with enough room downstage for really breakneck scene changes for all the other little locations.  The script suggests having the subway train just be a bunch of commuters holding a pole; that kind of presentational set worked really well for a lot of it. 

CAST LIST

Annabel Glick                     

Rita La Porta       

Dominique Du Monaco

Landlady/Lady #2/Chorus

Spinster/Lady #1/Chorus

Prosperous Woman/Chorus

Waiter on train /Chorus                

Nun/Chorus        

Miss Thorsby/Dominique's Dancer/Chorus       

Nurse/Chorus

Mrs. Loomis/Patient/Chorus

Maid/ Dominique's Dancer//Chorus                 

Harry Witherspoon 

Vinnie DiRuzzio 

Luigi Gaudi        

Tony Hendon's Body   

Punk/Salesman/Chorus

Lorry Driver/Emcee/Dancing Waiter/Texan/Chorus

Solicitor/Croupier/Chorus     

Bellhop/Dancing Waiter/Chorus

Christopher Sheldon
    Performing Arts Teacher
    Bancroft School
    Worcester MA

• 4.  RE: Lucky Stiff

Posted 09-21-2017 08:30
    We did Lucky Stiff in 2002.  Hands down one of my best experiences.  It was just fun from start to finish.  
    We had an Assistant Principal play the body.  The community loved it.

Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 5.  RE: Lucky Stiff

Posted 09-22-2017 08:25
    I directed a production of LUCKY STIFF in 2005, and used the 6 leads and an ensemble of 12 for the smaller roles. It worked great! What a fun show. ( side note-- Jason Derulo was my Luigi -- he was a senior that year)

Floyd Nash
    [Theatre teacher]
    Deerfield Beach High
    Deerfield Beach, FL

• 6.  RE: Lucky Stiff

Posted 09-21-2017 14:45
    I choreographed a high school production of it where we expanded the cast to about 20 and it was wonderful. We added people on the Train (Good to Be Alive), We had patrons and back up dancers (Speaking French), we had funny bits with hotel guests (Him, Them, It, Her) and used the full company in the opening, closing, and Welcome Back Mister Witherspoon. Because it takes place over Monte Carlo you can have a lot of fun with your kids having them develop fun specific ensemble characters over the many locales the play takes place. 

Frankie Marrone, '03
    Executive Artistic Director 
    Tri-School Theatre
    714-774-7575 x1158

1952 W. La Palma Ave.
    Anaheim, CA 92801
    Follow us on twitter @trischool

The information contained in this communication may be of a sensitive nature and is considered "confidential".  This information is intended only for use by the addressee and is the property of Servite High School. Unauthorized use, disclosure, or reproduction of this communication, or any part thereof, may be unlawful.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify me immediately by return email.