Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Movable Platform

Posted 01-22-2020 12:16
    I have a wood platform set piece that I need to be able to have freely move around the stage during the show but not move when students are standing on it. The platform is about 8 ins tall and you can see it in this picture (the "stone wall" is not part of it but the short white "walls" are attached). It was built for a show I did in the fall and I didn't need to move it then but I am trying to re-purpose it for the spring musical.

I'm guessing I need swivel caster wheels in several places but how do I keep it from moving when someone steps up onto the platform? I know I can buy lockable caster wheels but I'm trying to have students move it during scenes (for more fluid scene changes) and don't want them to have to go around locking and unlocking the wheels that will be under this platform.

I know I have seen movable platforms and set pieces in shows but not being very technically knowledgeable I am stumped on what I need to do to make this happen. I have talked with the industrial arts teacher but he is not a theater person and doesn't quite get what I mean. Please help!!

------------------------------
    Amy Williams
    District Librarian/Theater Teacher
    Thespian Troupe #8881
    Auburn High School
    Auburn, IL

• 2.  RE: Movable Platform

Posted 01-22-2020 15:49
    You could try putting pieces of carpet underneath. This way you don't have to worry about platform locking wheels to keep it from moving when actors go in and off

Tammy Smith
    Virginia Beach VA

• 3.  RE: Movable Platform

Posted 01-22-2020 16:45

A few wagon breaks should do the trick. Much more smooth to operate by scene change crew, and easier to get at than caster breaks.

https://shop.bmisupply.com/ProductDetail/04WB017

~Dave

David Simpson
    Performing Arts Center Manager
    East China Schools
    East China MI

• 4.  RE: Movable Platform

Posted 01-23-2020 06:13
    Hi!
    We once used those flip down metal door stops with rubber on the end for something similar to act as a brake. You could try mounting 2 or 3 upstage of the wall and see if they keep it in place. Carpet could also be an option. Good luck!
    Garry

Sent from my iPhone

• 5.  RE: Movable Platform

Posted 01-23-2020 06:53
    There are several ways of doing this, I have used the wagon brakes that are out there as aforementioned, I have used stage screws if you can put the anchors into the floor. A question is what are you doing on the platform, when using the wagon brakes considerable movement can damage them. A more secure option would be a floor lock brake, but you would want to incorporate that into the wagon. You can find those online

Jerry Onik
    V.P. Theatrical Supplies and Equipment
    Omaha NE

• 6.  RE: Movable Platform

Posted 01-23-2020 07:43
    Some good advice here so far-- only things I would add are to use a set of caster dogs, that way the stress or load of the casters will be on the rails or sides of the platform and not on the top-- additionally, if you keep the tolerance of your floor to wagon clearance pretty tight-- IE: a 1/4" or so-- most of the time, the actor's weight will deflect the load and the wagon will not move-- a piece of carpet or those little felt furniture tabs can be placed at each corner-- they'll move around when not under load and then help to engage when the platform or wagon is stopped.

Hope that helps

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC