Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Addams Family Makeup

Posted 01-29-2017 09:09
    Hello Awesome Tribe!

I need some advice on makeup - one of the areas in which I have no training. I have a cast of 31 for The Addams family, 20 of whom are Ancestors. Ideally, it would be great if all of them bought a basic makeup kit, but many will not or cannot. I will need to have a basic white/grey palate for them with some simple instruction on how to apply. This is an all girls school, so many do not or have not bothered with makeup before -- no need to impress. I look forward to your responses!

• 2.  RE: Addams Family Makeup

Posted 01-30-2017 08:31
    Basic tubes of black and gray cream paint are cheap. They're not the best, but you can mix and water them down on a palette and do some decent things (granted kids don't rub their faces).

Mehron sells a tri-color skeleton palette that's a bit better, but my best recommendation is disposable makeup sponges and brush cleaner for any brushes. If you're going to have them share anything, be clean!

------------------------------
    Amy Strickland
    Drama Teacher
    AL

• 3.  RE: Addams Family Makeup

Posted 01-30-2017 09:20
    In addition, YouTube has so many GREAT makeup tutorials, even for SFX stuff.

Halloween Makeup Tutorial | Victorian Ghost | Dead Widow | Gothic | PIPMAKEUP
    YouTube remove preview
    Halloween Makeup Tutorial | Victorian Ghost | Dead Widow | Gothic | PIPMAKEUP
    Halloween Makeup Tutorial | Victorian Ghost | Dead Widow _________________________________________________________________ Benutze Produkte: - MAX FACTOR / SOFT RESISTANT MAKE UP / 001 LIGHT - CATRICE / LIQUID CAMOUFLAGE / 010 Porcellain - PRESSED POWDER WHITE / STAR GAGER - MANHATTAN / GEL EYELINER / BROWN 93W - 88COLORPALETTE / NEUTRAL EYESHADOW _________________________________________________________________ instagram: @pipmakeup twitter: pipmakeup
    View this on YouTube >

Amy Strickland
    Drama Teacher
    AL

• 4.  RE: Addams Family Makeup

Posted 01-31-2017 15:37
    We air brushed them all white and used black and gray to create dimension.

Marla Wood
    Theatre Teacher/ Fine Arts Dept Head
    Chesapeake VA

• 5.  RE: Addams Family Makeup

Posted 01-31-2017 17:41
    We did addams last year and my students handled their own makeup.  We learned about contouring from youtube and I had them use a grey color palette.  A very important thing is to not have them use makeup from the same container.  To save money I have them remove makeup from the dish and place it on their own palette.  You can use mirrors for this or I purchased Shower board from a hardware store and cut it into pieces.  I then have each student have their own gallon ziplock bag.  They use the same tools for the run of the show then return them.  We disinfect and clean between production.  

You can look through our show photos here and get an idea of our makeup  (password Raiders) 
    http://schluete53462.c4.cmdwebsites.com/bt-adams-family-cast-2015  

Aileen Zeigler
    Theatre Arts Director
    Omaha NE

• 6.  RE: Addams Family Makeup

Posted 02-02-2017 12:27
    Mehron sells large containers of white and black. We did this show and had kids cover with the white and do shadows and contours with black. I would stay away from tubes of Halloween makeup as it has so little pigment in it, you have to use 2 to 3 times more for the same effect. It also caused some allergic reactions with some of my students. I will NEVER use cheap Halloween makeup for anything ever again.

Zach Schneider Troupe No. 1
    Teacher
    Natrona County High School
    Casper WY

• 7.  RE: Addams Family Makeup

Posted 02-03-2017 10:24
    After working the national tour of Addams Family, I was excited for it to be done at the high schools.  I have designed many productions of the show and have the makeup plot available if needed.   One thing I would remind everyone, is the ancestors are ghost not skeletons.  Their skin tone should be off white (white will pick up the colors of the lights and look blue). I've used Mehron's Starblend Butterfly Geisha, which is a water activated pressed powder and I put in on thin, which allows a little of the flesh show through.  This gives a human transparent look to the character.  The costumes should be layers of creams, off white and light greys.  The hair and arms should be mostly covered with hats and gloves. This is a very fun show, have fun with it.

Gene Flaharty
    Independence MO

• 8.  RE: Addams Family Makeup

Posted 02-04-2017 14:42
    Thank you All! Very helpful!

Jennifer Jordan
    Director of Theater and Dance
    Miss Hall's School
    Pittsfield MA

• 9.  RE: Addams Family Makeup

Posted 02-04-2017 17:47
    I would love to see a make up plot.   It would be very helpful.    Thank you!!!!

Shirlee Idzakovich
    Costumer.shirlee@yahoo.com
    NYC

• 10.  RE: Addams Family Makeup

Posted 02-06-2017 09:56
    Thanks Zach, for the information about makeup.  We're doing this show next fall and I was wondering the same thing about cheap Halloween makeup.  Now I know what to do.  Thanks again!

Mike Hancey
    Musical Theatre, Drama, Theatre Guild, & Theater Manager
    Laramie High School
    Laramie, WY