Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Double Casting Question

Posted 01-26-2018 13:21
    In an attempt to provide more performance opportunities for females,  I am double casting for the first time.  The show is Guys and Dolls and we have two Sarah Browns and two <g class="gr_ gr_105 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" id="105" data-gr-id="105">Adelaides</g>.  Does anyone have any recommendations on how to make this work with rehearsals?  I am planning on alternating performances but any suggestions on any aspect of how this should be handled are welcomed!?

------------------------------
    Stephanie Schultze
    Drama Teacher/Director
    Dover AR

• 2.  RE: Double Casting Question

Posted 01-26-2018 14:17
    You could have one shadow for a run of the scene and then switch when you run it again. I do this with my swings so that they get to run the blocking (and mouth the lines) the same number of times as the kid who is cast for the part and, conversely, has the kid who's been cast in the role the same number of times running the scenes blocking and lines while allowing the swing to settle into the roles as well. It only adds about 15-20 minutes to each rehearsal.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Double Casting Question

Posted 02-01-2018 10:51
    ​Good morning,

I agree with Shira's method. We did something similar with The Sound of Music with the kids. It worked out really well, During rehearsal it was a minimal addition of time. During tech week we did runs on M/W with cast A and T/TH with cast B.

It was also interesting as we cast Maria and Abess with the same actresses. So that one Actress was Maria with cast A and played Abess with cast B, and vice versa for the other actress. Although it challenged our leads, it really was great learning and real world prep for them.

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School

• 4.  RE: Double Casting Question

Posted 02-03-2018 07:44
    Kidz Theater in NYC does a really great job with double-casting. They double-cast all of their roles and have all students attend all rehearsals. They do what Shira recommended -- with students switching off for scene run-throughs -- but they also have students who are playing the same role work together when they're not onstage. So, for instance, your two Adelaides would spend their "downtime" breaking down their objectives and subtext for a scene, preparing for the next section of the rehearsal. While this means that you're going to end up with two performances that are probably similar (instead of getting two completely different takes on the same character), it's also good for students who may not yet be the strongest at script analysis to practice with a peer.

Victoria Chatfield
    Executive Director
    National Theatre for Student Artists
    www.nationalstudenttheatre.org
    vchatfield@nationalstudenttheatre.org