Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Spamalot Casting

Posted 05-08-2021 15:53
    Has anyone had experience doing more gender-inclusive casting of Spamalot? I've read some posts of directors casting female-identifying students in supporting roles. I am curious if any of the principals (Sir's) have been successfully cast as female?

------------------------------
    Lauren Rosi
    Theater Program Director
    St. Joseph Notre Dame

• 2.  RE: Spamalot Casting

Posted 05-09-2021 18:32
    We cast Lancelot as a girl! She was amazing! We also have each knight a sidekick, not  just Arthur. It worked really well for us! I had to cut the Lancelot song, song, so everything worked out in the end.

--
    Hillary Bogers, MEd
    she/her/hers
    Theatre Director
    Jack Britt High School
    910-429-2800

In Cumberland County Schools we practice and require the three W's: 
    Wear a mask. Wait 6 feet from others. Wash your hands.

This email is for the sole use of the individual for whom it is intended. If you are neither the intended recipient, nor agent responsible for delivering this email to the intended recipient, any disclosure, re-transmission, copying, or reliance on the information contained herein is prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify the person transmitting the correspondence immediately. All email correspondence to and from this email may be subject to disclosure to any third party upon request, including the media. It shall not be necessary to disclose: 1) Email correspondence which does not constitute a Public Record as defined under N.C.G.S. §132.1 or; 2) a public record which is exempt from disclosure under other applicable State or Federal law.

• 3.  RE: Spamalot Casting

Posted 05-09-2021 22:08
    We cast Robin, Patsy, Lancelot, and the Narrator using female actors.  The gender was only apparent in the lines of Lancelot/Herbert near the end which actually made the scene more funny because of the gender bending.

Christian Garretson
    MYP Drama/DP Theatre Teacher
    Western Academy of Beijing

• 4.  RE: Spamalot Casting

Posted 05-12-2021 11:59
    SPAMALOT School Edition includes the following note about casting: 

Besides THE LADY OF THE LAKE, her LAKER GIRLS, and the five chorus/ensemble songs that already involve female cast members, here are additional suggestions for using female cast members. The following roles might also be played by women (as women or as women playing men):

THE HISTORIAN
    DENNIS GALAHAD'S MOTHER (usually played by a male actor)
    THE FRENCH TAUNTERS
    THE MONKS
    SIR ROBIN'S MINSTRELS
    THE KNIGHTS OF NI (female cast members played these roles on Broadway)
    THE VOICE OF GOD
    SIR BORS
    TIM THE ENCHANTER
    ANGEL: An additional female soloist (an ANGEL) could be created to sing Song #14, "Find Your Grail"

Basically, KNIGHTS are boys, PRINCE HERBERT is a boy, and a boy often plays DENNIS GALAHAD'S MOTHER. Everybody else is a person. If a female actor plays PRINCE HERBERT, she must play him as a male. 

I hope that helps.

[Jim] [Hoare]
    [Executive Vice President]
    [TRW]
    [New York] [NY]

• 5.  RE: Spamalot Casting

Posted 05-12-2021 15:40
    Thank you Jim for your helpful response! Good to know our options! I think the students would hope that the roles of the Knights or Sir's would be open to all genders, so I will do some more research and investigation into the materials. Thank you for your help!

Lauren Rosi
    Theater Program Director
    St. Joseph Notre Dame