Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Gingy Puppet on a Budget - Shrek

Posted 10-01-2017 10:34
    We are looking for an affordable solution to Gingy that will not bust our meager budget. We're not beyond creating one if there's a good, step-by-step tutorial available. Has someone created one and can provide your tips of the trade? I've read some tips but no one has complete start-to-finish instructions and we're not exactly Sesame Workshop. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

------------------------------
    Alyssa Curry
    Georgetown KY

• 2.  RE: Gingy Puppet on a Budget - Shrek

Posted 10-02-2017 09:35
    I have one you could use. The mouth does not move, but the legs are removable. Let me know if you want to talk more. 

Chris Arnold
    carnold@lfschools.net

Chris Arnold
    Speech/Drama Teacher
    Lake Forest IL

• 3.  RE: Gingy Puppet on a Budget - Shrek

Posted 10-02-2017 11:29
    I created three for our production. I bought upholstery foam (2-3") at the local sewing store and some rougher looking brown fabric. I put a picture of ginger bread man on our smartboard, enlarged it to the size i wanted and place a piece of poster board over the screen and traced the shape on to the poster board. I used this model to cut the foam and then added two inches to it when i cut two pieces of the material out. I hot glued the material to the foam, making the sides as neat as possible with the unfinished edge to the back. I built the lips, buttons and eyebrows out of more foam i cut into appropriate shapes, backed with poster board for a flat adhering surface and covered with material. 

Now - i created moveable lips and eyebrows using florist wire that poked through to the back for the operator to manipulate. However - i don't think really impacts it a ton (at least in an amateur production) if it doesn't move. So you could just add the features and call it a day. If i had it to do again - that's what i would do. 

I made the second one just like the first except I cut the legs off and then only covered the front, adhering the pieces to your cookie sheet. 

The third was just like the first but it had the icing 'stitching' from where his legs were put back on. You could get away without that one if you wanted. If you have further questions  - feel free to email: jolene.workman@wsd.k12.de.us. I would be glad to help however I can.

Jolene Workman
    Director
    Bridgeville DE