Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Building a Scene Shop & Dressing Rooms

Posted 05-22-2019 11:17
    Greetings fellow Drama Teachers,

Recently, our temporary men's dressing room (which was also the English dept. bookroom) located directly across from the theater was reallocated as a new SPED office and the old SPED office (a few hallways away) is to be our new dressing room.  While this at first seemed problematic, presenting numerous logistical challenges, subsequent talks with my principal have lead to a wonderful opportunity to create a scene shop & actual dressing rooms.

I am tasked with the challenge of designing this new space and while I'm confident that I can provide proper specs, I am at a loss as to what's standard, acceptable, and realistic in terms of space, equipment, and within code.

When our space was built, they put a great deal of money into our sound, lighting, and house--and I'm very blessed to have such a beautiful space.  Our stage is equally handsome but there is no wing space.  Behind the stage is what they call our "Greenroom" but it's not really.  Presently, it's a storage room for small props and a rack of costumes.  It's 28x28 with a 6 1/2' by 5' area reserved for a hydraulic system.  That gives me about 750 square feet to play with for a brand new scene shop.  If you have a scene shop, what are the essentials?  If you don't have a scene shop and you were tasked with designing one, what are your MUST HAVES?  Anyone know where I can find the Tennessee codes for a high school scenic design shop?

Now, on to the dressing rooms.  So, I've again been blessed in that my principal believes in our program and I have been granted a few rooms for storage, including an outdoor semi-trailer for our flats and large set pieces.  I also have what we currently call our "costume room" that doubles as our ladies dressing room.  It's an oddly shaped room, curved along one wall but the dimensions I'm working with are roughly 700 square feet.  I need to figure out how to put in two dressing rooms and a storage area for costumes but we can only put in cubicle style walls as we're not allowed to go ceiling to floor.

My question about dressing rooms is the same as the scene shop:  If you have them, how big are they, what are the essentials.  If you don't have dressing rooms, what are the MUST HAVES?  

Our cast sizes are rarely over 40 and predominantly female.  I'd love any and all suggestions you might have.  I'm happy to provide additional details upon request.  And yes, there is some immediacy to this as the move of offices has already begun--I basically have the summer to submit a design, gut both rooms and have the new equipment & walls installed before our fall show in November.

Thank you all,
    Aaron

------------------------------
    Aaron Miller
    Media & Theatre Arts
    Troupe #1523 Director
    Manchester TN

• 2.  RE: Building a Scene Shop & Dressing Rooms

Posted 05-22-2019 12:01
    Our dressing rooms, not counting the bathroom, are about 12x17, with a little alcove for the door going to the stage.

I think the main must have is as much counter space with mirrors as possible - at least 2 ft deep so there is plenty of room for make up and other stuff.  Cubbyholes might be nice for actors to put their things in.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 3.  RE: Building a Scene Shop & Dressing Rooms

Posted 05-22-2019 19:07
    I served on an EdTA webinar about a month ago, and the topic of setting up a scene shop came up. Although we did talk about tools and safety, the main suggestion I made was to go look at other scene shops, talk to their staffs, and see what works and what doesn't. Other high schools, colleges, and amateur or professional theaters may have them, and TDs or master carpenters are usually happy to talk about their shops.

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net

• 4.  RE: Building a Scene Shop & Dressing Rooms

Posted 05-23-2019 06:04
    One thing you might consider for dressing rooms is having a larger space for makeup and such, but smaller individual changing rooms. With the awareness of gender identities, it might make all feel more comfortable. I’m not sure how you might work in your space, but it’s a thought.

Sent from my iPhone

• 5.  RE: Building a Scene Shop & Dressing Rooms

Posted 05-23-2019 10:22
    We are in the process of constructing an entirely new facility and designed both dressing rooms and a scene shop. I will do my best to describe the areas we designed.

Our dressing area has three designated areas/'rooms':

• a large 'make-up' entry area with counters and lighted mirrors, plus shelves and cupboards for storage of makeup and wigs.*
    • there are two dressing rooms; each with an attached bathroom and open lockers for 20 students. The lockers have a top shelf for hats, room to hang costumes and personal clothing and a lower cubby for personal item storage.
    *There is room in the  large make-up area for movable costume racks if necessary.

For our scene shop we included space for:
    • installing larger power tools
    • storage for all things hardware and hand tools
    • storage for lumber
    • an exhaust system to remove sawdust
    • paint storage area with cupboards and sink
    • a drafting table
    • phone and emergency eyewash station
    • a moveable work bench
    • drop down overhead outlets
    • large garage door to loading dock
    • large garage door to hallway across from back stage (there is also a large garage door across the hallway to back stage)

Our rigging box and storage is planned for back stage and our electrics, all thing lights, storage is planned for a storage room off of our Black Box. Don't forget to plan space for those things if you are able.

We are still under construction at this time, but eagerly awaiting the time when we can actually see what is on the blue prints. Our move in date is sometime in August!

Jill Campbell
    Gifted Support/Learning Enrichment ARTsmART
    State High Thespian Troupe 5029
    State College Area High School
    State College, PA 16801
    jkc11@scasd.org
    (814) 231-4114

• 6.  RE: Building a Scene Shop & Dressing Rooms

Posted 05-25-2019 06:59

You wrote: "while I'm confident that I can provide proper specs, I am at a loss as to what's standard, acceptable, and realistic in terms of space, equipment, and within code."

These are fairly contradictory statements.  The design of these spaces have many requirements that you have not addressed, and will probably require an Architect to certify the plans for bidding and construction (required under state construction law).  This is not to say an Architect knows anything about theatre or dressing rooms (they don't), but they do know building codes and ADA requirements.  They will employ electrical, mechanical (HVAC & plumbing), and fire protection engineers who also know nothing about theatre.  A Theatre Consultant can guide the Architect and engineers to layout the space, advise on make-up counters, make-up mirrors, dressing mirrors, power, dust collection systems, illumination, surface colors and finishes, plumbing, ventilation, and the many other details related to making these functional spaces so they are suitable for your work.  A Theatre Consultant has seen thousands of theatres in their career and can advise the design team and you about what works and what doesn't.

Having clear drawings and specifications for all of this will facilitate the suscessful contractor (typically the low bidder, or also known as the 'first looser') in getting it right, rather than 'doing what we have always done' and leaving you to suffer.  Your task as an owner's representative is to create the wish list of features so they design team can best realize them.

Please feel free to reach-out to me if we can be of assistance.

Erich Friend
    Theatre Consultant
    Teqniqal Systems