Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Musical Audition Piece

Posted 10-19-2017 18:51
    I have a boy that will be auditioning for a scholarship and needs a song from a musical.  We are looking for something that is not overdone. He is a Tenor 2/Base 1. Your suggestions would be appreciated since I am not a music director.

--
    Jill Gable
    South San Theatre Teacher/Director
    977-7400 Ext. 7772

"Logic will get you from A to B.  Imagination will take you everywhere."
                                                                                                                                          –Albert Einstein

• 2.  RE: Musical Audition Piece

Posted 10-20-2017 07:33
    Stageagent.com is really helpful for audition pieces. (:

------------------------------
    Heather Cribbs
    Theatre Director
    New Smyrna Beach High School
    New Smyrna Beach, FL

• 3.  RE: Musical Audition Piece

Posted 10-20-2017 12:12
    I never hear Ryan Scott Oliver's "Odyssey" in auditions and always wonder why (sheet music). Sam Salmond has some positively gorgeous songs for men, like "Why Do I?" (sheet music); you should especially check out his work if you're ever looking for something comedic. If he can hit the notes, all of the male solos from Alex Timbers and Michael Friedman's Love's Labours Lost are fantastic and underperformed in auditions, especially "Change of Heart" (sheet music only available via MTI -- probably one of the reasons why it's underperformed). While Kerrigan-Lowdermilk's "Run Away with Me" is egregiously overdone, I never hear cuttings of "Last Week's Alcohol" (sheet music) and wish that I did. It definitely requires an emotionally mature vocalist though. Also possibly out of range but soaringly adorable, Joey Contreras' "Ohio" (sheet music). (Contreras' "Great, Cool" could also make a really beautiful audition song.) Finally, you can't even find a recording online of it, but there's a song by Eric Lane Barnes called "A Hummingbird" from his musical revue Fairy Tales that knocks it out of the park every time. Like I've never been able to listen to it without bursting into messy sobs. And you can be guaranteed that no one else will be singing it at auditions because no one even knows this song exists. You would need to contact Barnes directly for the sheet music.

Victoria Chatfield
    Executive Director
    National Theatre for Student Artists
    www.nationalstudenttheatre.org
    vchatfield@nationalstudenttheatre.org

• 4.  RE: Musical Audition Piece

Posted 10-21-2017 10:06
    I'd also look at "Rock City" from See Rock City and Other Destinations. 

William Addis
    Chair of Visual and Performing Arts
    Westtown School
    West Chester PA