Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Middle School Musical Rehearsal- curricular time?

Posted 02-08-2018 10:46
    Hello Drama Hive Mind! 

Do any of you use curricular time to direct plays/ musicals? If so, what does that look like for you?  

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Nicole Tremblay
    Director of Theater
    Indianapolis IN

• 2.  RE: Middle School Musical Rehearsal- curricular time?

Posted 02-09-2018 09:01
    Hi Nicole,

I produce one or two one acts each semester in my 7th and 8th grade classes. These are connected to whatever we are studying at the time, i.e., realism, ensemble work or they have a social issue we, as a class, want to address. 

We produce two all school productions each year, one in the fall and one in the spring. These include all grades, 5 - 8, so those rehearsals are all held after school. 

Cheers, 
    Tina

Tina Tutt
    Middle School Theatre Teacher
    Middle School Theatre Director
    Battle Ground Academy
    Franklin, TN

• 3.  RE: Middle School Musical Rehearsal- curricular time?

Posted 02-09-2018 12:50
    At my MS, the school musical is a class ("Musical Production") that meets last period of the school day every day-- 40 minute period. There are three teachers present for every rehearsal (Drama teacher-director, Vocal Music teacher- musical director, Dance teacher- choreographer). We work in our auditorium, choir room, and cafeteria-- often splitting the three staff members up so we can work on different sections of the show.

The class is 'audition-based' to get in (65 students accepted, about 50% of those who try out), and we spend the first 2-3 weeks of class auditioning for roles. We then rehearse until late April/early May, when we hold 3-4 extended rehearsals during the school day for tech/dress rehearsals. Once the show is complete, we hold auditions to get into the class for the following year.

Tom Lupfer
    Glenfield MS, Montclair, NJ
    Pascack Valley HS, Hillsdale, NJ
    www.pvhstheatre.org

• 4.  RE: Middle School Musical Rehearsal- curricular time?

Posted 02-09-2018 16:14
    My middle school Drama 3 class produces a show each semester, two one-acts in December and a full-length sometime in Spring. The most important thing for me is to emphasize that participation in the performances is mandatory and a significant portion of the student's grade. Supply the dates the first week of school with a contract for the parents to sign, and make sure your administration will allow you to enforce it. Each student has a role (except for the stage manager) and is on a crew; so when they are not rehearsing, they are working on costumes, sound effects, designing the program, etc.

Jennifer Bennett
    Lake Mary FL