Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Microphone

Posted 06-27-2019 21:28
    Hey hive mind!

I have found that in my classroom my voice gets so tired by the end of the week from overuse through projecting. I am thinking of using an over-the-ear microphone for this. Anyone have any suggestions about which brand to use?

*I will be purchasing this with my own money and not through the school so I can take it with me wherever I go

------------------------------
    Joshua Watters
    Drama Teacher
    The American School of Kuwait

• 2.  RE: Microphone

Posted 06-28-2019 09:14
    There are several blue tooth versions out there that would work with your computer.  Depending on how your classroom is set up, that might be the way to go.  I have never used one, though.  Just think that is the easiest direction to go about.

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 3.  RE: Microphone

Posted 06-28-2019 09:40

What type of sound system will it be plugged into? If we had a better idea about the details of the complete system, we should be able to offer more productive solutions. What is your budget?

~Dave

David Simpson
    Performing Arts Center Manager
    East China Schools
    East China MI

• 4.  RE: Microphone

Posted 06-28-2019 09:46
    Yes, of course!

It will be plugged into a regular speaker, almost like a guitar amp type of speaker.

Budget would be somewhere between $200 - $350.

Joshua Watters
    Drama Teacher
    Hawalli

• 5.  RE: Microphone

Posted 06-28-2019 09:58

If I am understanding you correctly, it sound like you have a powered type speaker, so you do not need a separate mixer or preamp. 

I'd recommend something like the Shure BLX wireless system: https://www.google.com/search?q=Shure+BLX14/PGA31+Wireless&rlz=1CAEAQE_enUS826&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjLqo6bqozjAhVEXM0KHahPB4oQ_AUIECgB&biw=1366&bih=665#spd=13089445440272881571

Pyle Pro makes some affordable units: https://www.pyleaudio.com/sku/PDWM1904/Premier-Series-Professional-UHF-Wireless-Microphone-System,-Includes-Body-Pack-Transmitter,-Headset-Mic-and-Lavalier-Mic

Positioning of the speaker up high and out of the way of the microphone itself is very important too in getting the desired intelligibility to students in the back. 

~Dave 

David Simpson
    Performing Arts Center Manager
    East China Schools
    East China MI

• 6.  RE: Microphone

Posted 06-29-2019 08:29
    Years ago, I had a student who had a hearing disability and I was required to wear a microphone when he was in my class.  If your district has a special education coordinator, they might be able to give you some good advice, that might even apply to your specific classroom.

Janet Cain
    Cincinnati OH

• 7.  RE: Microphone

Posted 08-11-2019 15:15
    @Janet Cain

It’s an FM Audio Transmitter. It comes with a speaker box & you clip a microphone to your blouse 2-3 inches below your chin

Maria Stadtmueller
    Kendall Park, NJ

Sent from my iPhone

• 8.  RE: Microphone

Posted 06-29-2019 11:46
    I have tried a few different kinds of mics for this purpose.  You can get a cheap tour guide mic headset for about $20-$40.  For example:

AmazonUIIcon@legacyImages-sprite_2x-13acd72bb22e0c502de00d0afe21c494871da686._V2_.png"); background-size: 40rem 90rem; display: inline-block; vertical-align: text-top; position: relative; width: 6rem; height: 1.2rem; top: 0.3rem; background-position: -11.2rem -59rem; background-repeat: no-repeat">4.2 out of 5 starsReviews

Voice Amplifier, SHIDU Wireless Voice Amplifier 10W Rechargeable Portable PA System Speaker with UHF Wireless Microphone Headset Support MP3 Play for Teachers, Yoga, Tour Guides, Outdoor Trainers

You can get an Ion "block rocker" type of speaker with a hand-held mic ( with a shirt cord) with Bluetooth to play music for $119.   For example:
    AmazonUIIcon@legacyImages-sprite_2x-13acd72bb22e0c502de00d0afe21c494871da686._V2_.png"); background-size: 40rem 90rem; display: inline-block; vertical-align: text-top; position: relative; width: 6rem; height: 1.2rem; top: 0.3rem; background-position: -11.2rem -59rem; background-repeat: no-repeat">4.2 out of 5 starsReviews

ION Audio Tailgater Plus | Portable Speaker, Battery Powered, with 50 W Power, Bluetooth Connectivity, Microphone & Cable, AM/FM Radio and USB Charging For Smartphones & Tablets

Or you can invest in a headset mic like a Zumba instructor would use with a receiver that goes into an audio rack for about $400.  All available on Amazon.  

I have tried a lot of options.  It all depends on if you have an audio system already, and what kind of mic you want.  I prefer a lavalier mic, and I have an old speaker system that is no longer available, unfortunately.  

• 9.  RE: Microphone

Posted 07-02-2019 14:49
    We use an Audio Technica brand transmitter and receiver. You still have to purchase the microphone separately, but can get a decent over the ear microphone. We go through Full Compass, Inc. to get our equipment from. If you are part of a school district, they give discounts. If you want more info on the equipment, let me know.

D. Jay Kendall
    Theatre Manager
    Moses Lake School District 161
    Moses Lake WA