Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Big Fish - making daffodils appear en masse

Posted 04-06-2019 00:35
    I've read a lot of good advice on this forum about the daffodils, but I have one more idea and wanted to see what you think. When Edward says "these, and these, and these, and these" etc and all the daffodils appear ... We have a beautiful video with thousands of daffodils growing out of the grass. But in terms of filling the stage space with daffodils, we don't have any way to have them floating down from the sky, or popping up through trap doors. So what do you think of this? Having all the ensemble members, in their storytale costumes, appear on stage with bundles of daffodils. Would that ruin the magic of the two of them alone falling in love? or would it be a lovely take on the power of the imagination to conjure up flowers and friends?

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Arden Thomas
    Sequoyah High School
    Pasadena CA

• 2.  RE: Big Fish - making daffodils appear en masse

Posted 04-07-2019 08:05
    We had the audience do it. We cut out paper daffodils and gave one to each audience member as they entered. Then Edward gestured to each section of the auditorium and that section held up their daffodils. It was a magical way to include the audience, and while we collected the daffodils each night, many "went missing" because the audience wanted to keep the momento. I still hear about people who have their daffodils. I love the magic of live theatre!

Dawn Skinner
    Elysian MN

• 3.  RE: Big Fish - making daffodils appear en masse

Posted 04-09-2019 13:08
    We took strips of netting, attached several fake daffodils along with cut-out versions of them to fill the gaps. First we had fake daffodlls appear on the stage as he first mentions them. Then we had cast members run down the aisles with the strips of netting. A different group would run down the aisle as he said "these" and "these" and 'these"  until all of the aisles were filled. The cast members would kneel down until the end. It made the audience feel like they were in a field. Many people burst into tears!

Kathleen Horrigan
    Theatre Arts Director
    Lawrence Central High School
    Indianapolis IN

• 4.  RE: Big Fish - making daffodils appear en masse

Posted 04-12-2019 21:29
    We had several patches of daffodils built into the set that could roll out, pop up, etc as he mentions "these and these..."
    we also used projected images- an easy way to cover large areas quickly and cheaply! Project on cyc, proscenium walls, etc!

Sarah Serbus
    Theatre Director
    Union R-XI School District
    Union MO

• 5.  RE: Big Fish - making daffodils appear en masse

Posted 04-07-2019 19:39
      |   view attached
    I love this show and I love this question!

I was honored to be in a gorgeous production of this show at Lyric Theatre of Oklahoma.  In order to create the abundance of daffodils, a number of things happened:

1.  All of us "Storytellers" came out with a large daffodil in our hands, in small groups.  "These....and these..and these.."
    2.  A large drop was revealed, which had been decorated with hundreds yellow tulle puffs that suggested the yellow flowers. 
    3.  Finally... and this was the part that just put us over the edge...the final moment of the song was punctuated with a drop of yellow balloons.

There wasn't a dry eye in the house....or on the stage, for that matter.

My favorite part was the way that the Storytellers participated.  It was so simple, yet so effective.  And we all kept one of the prop flowers as a memento, too!

Good luck! What a wonderful show!

Eric McNaughton
    Theatre Director
    Marist School
    AtlantaGA
    mcnaughtone@marist.com