Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Good News: Using Arts To Heal - Improv for Wounded Warriors

Posted 09-18-2018 21:20

Hello All!

Figured some good uplifting news would be great for you all. Perhaps a discussion for other higher education instructors regarding the psychological aspects of our arts as therapeutic.  That being said, if you know a Veteran who loves theatre/improv/comedy - send 'em! 

As if I don't have enough jobs, last month I was awarded a contract with the DoD/USAF Wounded Warrior Program (of which I am a member, athlete, and Ambassador) and now will be the, get this, comedy coach for the program's comedy resiliency program. I'm not going to lie, as a thespian, actor, comedian, improviser, and wounded warrior, I am pretty damn honored. For any artist we always seek meaningful work, and this is it. 

Take a look at what the Armed Services Arts Partnership shared on facebook below.
    ----

" BJ Lange is a Retired USAF Medic and Air Force Wounded Warrior. Even as he struggles with his own cancer journey, he's using his love of improv to help his brothers and sisters in arms to heal for the visible and invisible wounds of war and other injuries - by showing them the power and joy of "Yes, and-ing".
    Earlier this month BJ became a Department of Defense contractor teaching improv in the Air Force's Wounded Warrior Program as a healing tool in their Resiliency Program. Over the next fiscal year, BJ will travel around the world every few weeks working with hundreds of wounded, ill, or injured service members and veterans how improvisation can be used as a life skill to assist them in their recovery all while having fun with the benefits laughter therapy. 
    BJ teaches in the youth program, improv program, and the Improv for Veterans Program at The Second City Hollywood."
    Armed Services Arts Partnership
    Facebook remove preview
    Armed Services Arts Partnership
    We wanted to take some time to highlight BJ "Honkey" Lange, a former USAF medic who is using his experience, passion, and expertise to promote the well-being of his fellow veterans through the art of...
    View this on Facebook >

------------------------------
    BJ Lange
    Teacher
    The Second City Hollywood
    BJLange@SecondCity.com

• 2.  RE: Good News: Using Arts To Heal - Improv for Wounded Warriors

Posted 09-19-2018 11:29
    This is incredible! First off, thank you for your service! My best friend is the Outreach Coordinator for the Wounded Warrior Project based in Germany. Her husband is still active duty at Ramstein and her son has become involved in theatre at the high school on base. If you ever need a contact in Germany, I'm sure she would love to connect with you. You can email me directly at: cblomquist@dpcplays.com

Thank you again!

Carrie

Carrie Granatelli Blomquist
    Dramatic Publishing Company
    Woodstock IL