Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Small Projection Screen Help

Posted 09-01-2021 10:59
    Ok, this project has disappointed me. I need help! I am trying to build a 7 foot round projection screen that I will use for rear projection and shadow puppets.  And I really want a black fabric so that it will blend better into my set design (it will be on the stage the entire time). One company suggested black polysilk, and meh. The rear projection is just not bright enough and the shadow puppet torch (I tried several options here like my led par, an old overhead projector, the same projector I will use with my video projection, and a flashlight torch) all shine too harshly through right to my audience eyes, even at higher and lower angles! I've had good success with chameleon scrim in the past, but I don't want to throw more money out there without some advice.  Maybe scrim? Maybe another material? Maybe a different light source or angle?  Any advice is much appreciated.

------------------------------
    Analiese Hamm
    ECHS Drama Director
    Echols County High School
    Statenville

• 2.  RE: Small Projection Screen Help

Posted 09-02-2021 12:10

They make rear screen projection fabric.  Try Rose Brand Fabrics.

Kelly M. Thomas

Department of Theatre

Dr. Ralph H. Poteet High School

3300 Poteet Drive

Mesquite, Texas 75150

972-882-5300

Kthomas@mesquiteisd.org

• 3.  RE: Small Projection Screen Help

Posted 09-03-2021 07:55
    I have used rear projection screen material in the past.  It is sort of gray in color and made of a type of plastic.  It does work well.  Another option that I use frequently is to starch muslin which has been stretched over a frame or to just size a drop with starch and go from there..  I usually use plain muslin, but I would think it would be possible to paint the muslin with a diluted wash to achieve a grey.  We used dyed muslin once with a painted clock for A Christmas Carol. The starch just provides a sort of translucence in the finish.  If you need the starch formula it can be found in Lynn Pecktal's book and Rose Brand will send you fabric samples if you ask them.

Have fun with your experiments.

Michael Johnson
    Trinity High School