Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Macbeth head.....

Posted 02-25-2017 09:37
    Anyone ever made a head for Macbeth? How did you go about it?

• 2.  RE: Macbeth head.....

Posted 02-26-2017 08:28
    I put a sack of rice in a burlap bag and bloodied it up. It kept the realism and was convincing without being overly gruesome for younger audience members.

------------------------------
    Jason Robert LeClair, MA
    Artist/Arts Educator
    Director, Thespian Troupe 7444
    Beacon Charter High School for the Arts
    Woonsocket, RI

• 3.  RE: Macbeth head.....

Posted 02-26-2017 10:48
    I have done this two ways.  When I did this last, we made a life cast out of the actor's head/face.  Then made and painted a latex false head.  Our closest seat was 6 feet from the stage, so we took a lot of care to make it as realistic as possible.  

The whole process was pretty easy, and not as pricey as I thought.  The most expensive part was the chemicals that are mixed to make the latex.  The most time consuming part was the painting.  Then we just put a wig on it.  It looked great.

When I did it in college we used a styrofoam wig head, then wrapped layers and layers of masking tape until we got the right size and shape.  Then painted and wigged it.   Would not have passed at 10 feet, but from 25+ feet in this theatre it worked really well.

Super cheap, this.  Easy and fast.

• 4.  RE: Macbeth head.....

Posted 02-27-2017 17:59
    One show I saw had Macbeth 'decapitated' over the top level of a stepladder. Macbeth was left slumped over the ladder, so when MacDuff 'brought in the head' he just pulled Macbeth's head up from it's prone position, the actor with his eyes rolled up in a 'I'm very dead' look, and it worked very effectively. 

I've also seen the bloodied burlap sack in a couple of other productions, and that also works well. I've not seen a production where a severed head was presented, so...

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Ruskin FL

• 5.  RE: Macbeth head.....

Posted 02-28-2017 10:29
    We made a head for a scene in "Goodnight Desdemona, Good Morning, Juliet." It was a wig form with a mask on it. We put a dowel into it and "bloodied" it up. Looked great (or at least grotesque) on stage.

Jennifer Jordan
    Director of Theater and Dance
    Miss Hall's School
    Pittsfield MA