Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Thespian Point Stacking?

Posted 11-14-2017 09:53
    I have a question about awarding thespian points, that I can't seem to find in this forum...
    Should points be stacked if a student does more than one job for a production?

For example - In our very large theater program we have our construction crew come everyday. These participants who are there everyday would be awarded 5 thespian points. We then select our "running crew" from this group of students i.e lighting crew, stage hands, etc. based on the need for the show, some people do get cut. We select those who show excellent work and dedication through out the process. The people on running crew then put in another 50+ hours during tech week and the run of the show.
    So my question is, should these students be awarded 5 points for being on construction crew and another 4 points for being on stage crew? Are you stacking points?

I don't want to make it too easy for students to become thespians by doing this because it should still be a big honor to be a inducted.  

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Ashley Melton
    Drama Director/Theatre Teacher
    Edwardsville IL

• 2.  RE: Thespian Point Stacking?

Posted 11-14-2017 10:25
    I personally don't stack points. The kids are placed on specific crews (I always have way too many interested to accommodate them all) so there is no consistent overlap on kids to crews. Take a look at the kids who are participating - have they done the work to equal 9 points? Remembering that your leads (if you go with the suggested values) are only receiving 8 points for their participation. Just something to think about...

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Thespian Point Stacking?

Posted 11-14-2017 10:41
    The only thing I stack is construction. But this is awarded by hours. Students are required to sign in during tech days and Q2Q (regardless of what their other job is). This way, if I have actors who come to 18 hours of tech, they are receiving points for it as well. But someone who only comes for 2 hours doesn't get the full possible points. Every other job role is specified. So if you're costumes, you're ONLY costumes. If you're lights, you're ONLY lights. If you're cast, you're ONLY cast. 

Hope this helps!

Heather Cribbs
    Theatre Director
    New Smyrna Beach High School
    New Smyrna Beach, FL

• 4.  RE: Thespian Point Stacking?

Posted 11-14-2017 10:58
    Honestly, when it comes down to stuff like this, I always go back to the total number of hours spent. 10 hours = 1 point, right? Calculate how many hours they've put in and award accordingly.

Christopher Hamilton
    Drama Teacher
    Kennewick WA