Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  THANK YOU and NEED PLAY SUGGESTION

Posted 12-08-2016 14:01

Wow guys.  I can't thank all of you enough for all of the support you've shown myself and my students over the past few months as we've dealt with our flooding situation.  We are slowly rebuilding our school and our homes but it has proved to be a larger task than first anticipated.  

We are still sharing a school with another campus and HOPEFULLY will be back on our campus in temporary buildings by February 3rd.  That's a lofty goal but I am believing in my district that we will be home by then!  :) Some of my students still are living in hotels, campers, etc. But kids are so resilient and positive, they give me so much hope!  

My question to you wonderful peeps is, I have my advanced class this spring.  Its a large class, 20-25 kids, mostly females.  I'm having trouble deciding on a play to do with them.  Our last three shows have been Romeo and Juliet, The Crucible, and The Great Gatsby.  I'm looking for something with name recognition and something the kids and I will be passionate about, especially given our situation.  Any ideas would be welcomed!  Thanks again and HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILIES!!

Heidi

------------------------------
    Heidi Frederic
    Theatre Teacher
    Ascension Parish School District
    Gonzales LA

• 2.  RE: THANK YOU and NEED PLAY SUGGESTION

Posted 12-09-2016 07:48
    Try Dominic Cooke's version of Arabian Nights - great name recognition, flexible casting, and lovely message. It was written for the RSC, so it's not too childish. My kids loved it!

• 3.  RE: THANK YOU and NEED PLAY SUGGESTION

Posted 12-09-2016 09:56

Mary Zimmerman's "Metamorphoses" comes to mind because it is typically staged with a pool, but you could find unique ways on incorporating water, and its primary theme is about change, especially as it comes out of tragedy.  The ever-observant ancient Greeks understood the power of transition water holds. From <g class="gr_ gr_667 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_disable_anim_appear Punctuation only-del replaceWithoutSep" id="667" data-gr-id="667">liquid,</g> to solid, to vapor - water is the optimal symbol for metamorphosis and philosophical recycling.  From Poseidon, the god of the seas, to Aphrodite’s birth out of the churning ocean, water is a key component of Greek mythology.

This might be fun to explore because of how it relates to your community's situation, and it is ultimately a very uplifting piece.  It opened in NY shortly after 9/11, and there is a great interview with the author about the show's impact. 

Jessica Harms
    Theatre Director
    Acton MA

• 4.  RE: THANK YOU and NEED PLAY SUGGESTION

Posted 12-09-2016 12:00
    The Skin of Our Teeth? May not have the name recognition you need, but one of the themes is how, in the face of devastation, humanity finds a way to rebuild and go on. It's challenging, but makes for great conversation about allegory, etc. I also love Our Town. If done well it still holds up - appreciating the people in our lives and living every moment to the fullest. Never gets old. Some male roles may be played by females. Lysistrata?

• 5.  RE: THANK YOU and NEED PLAY SUGGESTION

Posted 12-10-2016 13:30

I agree with Rob.  A flood ends Act II in The Skin of Our Teeth, by Thornton Wilder.

When we did the play, I set Act I in a modern looking simple box set, but the walls were decorated with light brown cave drawings, reminiscent of Lascaux Cave.  We had modern furnishings, but used faux fur pieces for curtains, seat covers, tablecloth, etc.  

I set Act II in the Roaring 20's, rather than the earlier boom time Thornton Wilder imagined--maybe 1905?  So the flood was a metaphorical stock market crash.  In your case, that scene might really resonate.  We did that act in front of our midstage traveler, but it could be done in front of your act curtain, if you have a sufficient apron.

We returned to that Act I set, stripped of its fur pieces for Act III.  We borrowed camo from our JROTC program for the military costumes.

One of the things I liked about The Skin of Our Teeth is that it has substantial parts for the family members, then multiple smaller parts.  I believe I had 24 people on stage, and that was with some actors playing several smaller roles.   

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC

• 6.  RE: THANK YOU and NEED PLAY SUGGESTION

Posted 12-09-2016 12:12

The Miracle Worker. Great parts for women in this show. Very recognizable title and something that students can truly immerse themselves in. An extremely impacting story. 

Elizabeth Nelson
    Drama Teacher
    Mission, KS

• 7.  RE: THANK YOU and NEED PLAY SUGGESTION

Posted 12-14-2016 18:18

LOVE LOVE LOVE these suggestions!  Thanks so much!  I'm actually also looking at To Kill a Mockingbird, which TROY PETERS, if you read this, you and your students inspired me to look at this show!  Thanks, guys!

Opening our first production tonight post-flood at our satellite campus....it's not my usual work, but the kids are STOKED and that's the MOST IMPORTANT THING!  

Happy Holidays!

Love,

Heidi

Heidi Frederic
    Theatre Teacher
    Ascension Parish School District
    Gonzales LA