Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Classroom lighting

Posted 07-18-2017 08:39
    Weird question. I have an interior classroom with no windows and all fluorescent lights. Even if I only turn on one switch, it's a LOT of bright white light. I really hate it, and I don't think it can possibly be good for the kids or for getting into the creative state. Our art teacher mentioned the fluorescent light covers, but my administrator adamantly insists that the fire marshal won't allow them (why? they're flame retardant and made for classrooms). Has anyone come up with a good solution for their classroom?

------------------------------
    Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 2.  RE: Classroom lighting

Posted 07-18-2017 14:27
    Different state, different rules, but the last time I had a question about fire code, I just called my local fire department (not 911!).  They have a few people on staff that are inspectors, and they answered my questions about what was and wasn't permissible.  It'll at least be worth the call.

Sydney Thiessen
    Fine & Performing Arts Coordinator and Technical Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 3.  RE: Classroom lighting

Posted 07-19-2017 10:18
    Many in my building have started to pick up table and floor lamps at thrift shops; the ambient lighting is very warm and inviting. As well, another colleague has put up a ton of fairy lights on his ceiling to help with creating a more welcoming atmosphere.

Lori Constable
    Teacher; director of Drama
    Independent District 112
    Chanhassen MN

• 4.  RE: Classroom lighting

Posted 07-19-2017 08:27
    Norcostco and GamColor make florescent panel gel sheets and tubes that physically go over the fluorescent tubes.  They are generally used for color correction, but I believe they make neutral density filters and some color filters as well.  I do not know about the Fire Marshall's requirements, I would imagine in most filming circumstances the filters are temporary.  But it might be worth checking out at Stage Lighting Store.com

Also, there are a wide variety of new LED conversions available for those large and bulky four tube lighting fixtures. Dimming is an option as well.  You might start at your home store for a beginning place and then seek out an interior or architectural lighting designer for some more advice.  If you have a store that serves electricians in your area, they can help as well.

Additionally, most utilities provide a grant service for the LED conversion and might be interested in spec-ing your project and in helping you get it done.

Best

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 5.  RE: Classroom lighting

Posted 07-19-2017 09:13
    What about using a few floor lamps in the room? I've done this in the past and it provides enough light for group work, reading, writing, etc., without being so glaring.

Makala V. Witten
    Christiansburg High School
    Teacher, English 12 and Theatre
    Sponsor, International Thespian Troupe 3070
    Go Blue Demons!

• 6.  RE: Classroom lighting

Posted 07-19-2017 15:17

Not a weird question – it means you have a good design sense when it comes to lighting! As a theatrical lighting designer – and former sometime architectural lighting designer – myself, I can't stand fluorescent lights. But there are some things you can do in your situation.

But first – DO NOT PUT A DIMMER ON FLUORESCENT LIGHTS!  Unless…you have a special type of ballast within the fixture that allows for dimming. Dimming a standard fluorescent fixture (read: cheap – which is probably what your school had installed) can be a FIRE HAZARD.

There are already a lot of good suggestions. Here's another:

What is "white" light? There are several different "white" fluorescent tubes on the market that you can pick up from your local hardware store (if your school won't provide them), ranging from Warm White (more yellowish) to Cool White (more bluish). Beware the ones labeled "Daylight" - while we think of the sun as a warm white, daylight is actually very blue and 'stark'. In any case, none of these tubes are very appealing by themselves, but the idea is that you can change out your tubes so that you are alternating cool and warm, which makes for a much nicer combination of "white" light – not so glary.

Beth Rand
    High School Theatre Operations Coach

Next HS Theatre Management Training for Drama Teachers online course: Fall Session starts Sept. 11. Spaces still available.

Author of "High School Theatre Operations" and "The High School Theatre Lighting Rep Plot; a step-by-step guide" and several more books on Amazon.

www.PRESETT.org
    Westminster, CO