Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  The Addams Family

Posted 03-01-2019 10:40
    Does anyone have any insight on the pros and cons of the full script versus the high school edition? We are considering it for fall and are in a relatively conservative area - I don't want to offend - but I don't want to remove all the humor either . . .

------------------------------
    Toni Thomas
    English Teacher, Theatre Director
    West Branch MI

• 2.  RE: The Addams Family

Posted 03-02-2019 14:29
    We produced the full production two years ago and had a lot of fun with the show.  We had to be pretty creative about staging for the Grandmother sandwich line and we were much more conservative with regard to Wednesday Addam's love affair throughout the house.   Other than that, I thought it was great fun.  The Fester scene with the moon and the song behind it remains one of my favorite moments in theater that I have helped to create as there were some fantastic moments in that group of scenes. 

Perhaps, if there is a high school version out there, there will be alternative lines in the "original" script as well which might be of some help to you.

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 3.  RE: The Addams Family

Posted 03-02-2019 16:37
    We did the Broadway version two years ago--such a fun show and the audience LOVED it!  We are also a fairly conservative town and I toned down Wednesday/Lucas's relationship as well.  I kept the Grandma sandwich joke and most of Gomez' jokes and had no issues.  Most of the jokes go over younger ones' heads anyway.

Laura Russo
    Teacher/Director of Theatre Arts
    School District of The Chathams
    Chatham NJ