Open Forum

View Only

Something like Godspell...

• 1.  Something like Godspell...

Posted 11-02-2020 10:31

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to figure out a solution for our spring musical, and I think I'd like to a make a film version, so I could work with our broadcasting dept. I was thinking something like Godspell would be perfect since it's more like vignettes, with a flexible cast, and can be filmed mostly outdoors. I haven't checked yet on availability in terms of rights (filming, streaming, etc), but I'm not sure my public school system will approve Godspell. Can you think of any other musicals that would be easy to rehearse in small groups and would translate well to film, and the rights would allow us to do so? I already know the sound editing will be complex, but that's what my broadcasting dept is for��

All ideas and recs are welcome!

Cherie Ducote Firmin

Mandeville High School Talented Theatre Teacher

St. Tammany Parish Public School System

(work)985-626-5225 (fax)985-626-5298

www.stpsb.org | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

#stppsleads

STPPS adhere to the equal opportunity provisions of federal and civil rights laws and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status or disability.

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

STPPS adheres to the equal opportunity provisions of federal and civil rights laws and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, or disability.

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

• 2.  RE: Something like Godspell...

Posted 11-02-2020 11:08

I have no suggestions on shows to offer. I just wanted to offer a word of caution. The typical performance rights and the newly negotiated streaming rights that are being offered might not cover the film adaptation your are looking to do. Those rights are closely guarded. Often times those rights cannot even be granted through typical channels we are use to. Terminology will be important in your request. Just using the word "film" and references to editing might be enough to work against you in negotiations. It can turn into a tricky situation. I just wanted to offer that bit of warning.

As an alternative, there are some great cuts of some Shakespeare that can lend itself to this. A MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM comes to mind. 

Good luck! Reinventing these experiences for our students is definitely a new adventure for all of us!

~Dave

------------------------------
    David Simpson
    Performing Arts Center Manager
    East China Schools
    East China MI

• 3.  RE: Something like Godspell...

Posted 11-03-2020 08:58
    The new term is Record & Stream. It allows you to edit first. The smaller companies like Pioneer & Eldridge are granting these rights. You might look at “Cotton Patch Gospels”, it’s a smaller company version of a Godspell Like show. Let us know What else you find on your quest. I’m still looking too.

Maria Stadtmueller
    St. Augustine School
    Kendall Park, NJ

Sent from my iPhone

Deborah Birx's Daily Reports Are Getting More Dire
    http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/5fa161afceb761ae1cc1st02duc1
    First Results Reported in Election 2020
    http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/5fa161af30ef561ae1cc1st02duc2
    Death Toll Climbs in Vienna, Where '100 Rounds' Rang Out
    http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/5fa161af55b9461ae1cc1st02duc3

• 4.  RE: Something like Godspell...

Posted 11-03-2020 08:21

Hi, 

I just sent you an email.  Would love to continue this conversation. 

Thanks

Larry Little

CPA Theatricals, Inc. 

Larry Little
    Chicago IL

• 5.  RE: Something like Godspell...

Posted 11-03-2020 09:54

I have a suggestion for a show that definitely has the flexibility of Godspell. Bully No More! published by Concord Theatricals has nine animal characters. A chorus can easily be added, sets are minimal, and the costumes do not have to be animals. The story and songs inspire students to look out for one another, treat each other with kindness and respect, and hold onto hope in an imperfect and pandemic world. Social distancing is encouraged.

One of the appealing opportunities in the musical, is to create two opposing groups - the bullies and the targets in any form desired. Here is a U-tube song from the show, "I Feel Strong" to give you an idea of the style. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8hOVdExawA 

Elaine

Elaine Sklar Davis
    Stowe VT

• 6.  RE: Something like Godspell...

Posted 11-03-2020 10:18
    YOU'RE A GOOD MAN, CHARLIE BROWN might work for this.

The whole cast scenes would work if distanced outside if you can figure out the sound issues.

Barb Lachman
    Drama Director (former)
    Shoreline WA

• 7.  RE: Something like Godspell...

Posted 11-03-2020 14:34
    My troupe co-director staged Godspell several years ago, and there was no push-back in our public school district.  The show isn't as sectarian as some people think it is, since it focuses on the essential themes of Jesus' parables rather than on any denominations' specific teachings about Jesus.  We had students from a wide range of religious and non-religious backgrounds involved in that production.

If you can't secure proper rights to that one, you might look at Working, which is similarly structured in vignettes that can be rehearsed separately and then assembled as a whole.

Jeff Grove
    Theatre Teacher, Aesthetics Department Chair
    Stanton College Preparatory School
    Jacksonville FL

• 8.  RE: Something like Godspell...

Posted 11-09-2020 15:39
    Quilters is a musical with a female-heavy cast about pioneer women.  As in Godspell, a series of vignettes moves to a satisfying conclusion.  I live in the Midwest, so I like the educational connections it offers my Kansas students.

Janette Clark
    Drama Teacher
    Minneapolis KS

• 9.  RE: Something like Godspell...

Posted 11-16-2020 15:36
    I directed QUILTERS a number of years ago; and while it's a gorgeous show there's a few caveats I'd like to throw in.  it is an entirely female cast.  The music, while beautiful, goes into six part harmony at times.  And then there's the quilts which are essential.  Kind of reminds me of LITTLE SHOP . . . in terms of an essential prop(s).  So with all that in mind . . . break a leg if you're planning on directing it.  - - Steve Halper

• 10.  RE: Something like Godspell...

Posted 11-10-2020 10:13
    WORKING sounds like it would/could also work for you. Very episodic, no through story-line, yet a common theme of celebrating the working class. I have directed it twice and have found it a rewarding experience both times. Lots of possibilities. Good luck!
    Garry

Garry Tiller
    Theatre Arts Teaching Artist
    Sidwell Friends
    Washington, DC

• 11.  RE: Something like Godspell...

Posted 11-11-2020 12:11
    I agree with Gary.  We did WORKING this fall outside and it was very successful.   Check out the 2012 version with new songs by Lin Manuel Miranda.  It is perfect for social distancing and you can do it with a very flexible cast size.  Lots of opportunities.  I'm pretty sure streaming rights are now available through MTI.

John Whapham
    Cincinnati OH

• 12.  RE: Something like Godspell...

Posted 11-12-2020 11:55
    "Closer than Ever" and "Songs for a New World" come to mind as well....not sure about streaming rights, though. Break a leg, I'd love to see what you do with the final production if you are willing to share!

Shelly Work
    Capitol Hill Day School
    Shady Side MD

• 13.  RE: Something like Godspell...

Posted 12-15-2020 22:33
    The Just So Stories

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School

• 14.  RE: Something like Godspell...

Posted 12-16-2020 10:34
    I love "Just So” the musical of the Just So Stories, and in fact, checked it out as a possibility for our spring musical. Unfortunately, it is not one of the shows available for recording and streaming. I suppose it never hurts to ask.

I am actually going to pursue “Honk”, also by Drewe and Styles.

Perhaps if one Drewe and Styles is available, another might be as well. Take a look at both, they are similar in that they both have outstanding Drewe and Styles vocals and are based on Children’s Stories.