Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  follow spot decision

Posted 02-11-2020 15:59
    I need to buy a follow spot for our theater which requires a 100 foot throw. I have been offered a used Altman 1000Q that is at least 10+ years old for the amount of $815.00. I'd much prefer an LED but know they cost more. Should I purchase the used Altman, or hold out for an LED? What should I expect to spend on a new follow spot? Thanks for your help!

------------------------------
    Sonja Brown, Theatre Teacher
    Thespian Troupe 839
    Galt High School

• 2.  RE: follow spot decision

Posted 02-12-2020 07:04
    I would suggest, if you can, hold out.  We just tested the new Altman LED spots and they are incredible.  It won't be a waste of your money when that 1000Q dies and the lamps you need to replace, and will it even throw 100' and be visible?  We have two older spots that are not bright enough to punch through the stage lighting.  What a waste if that one isn't enough to be effective unless it's dark.  
    Just my two cents.

Nathan Shewell
    Theatre Arts Director
    INDIANAPOLIS IN

• 3.  RE: follow spot decision

Posted 02-12-2020 08:27
    Nathan, could you post a link of the spot you are referring to?
    We have two, one is getting up there in age and I know sooner or later we will have to replace it...
    I'm not sure where to begin... haha

Erika

Erika Trahan
    Kaplan LA

• 4.  RE: follow spot decision

Posted 02-12-2020 09:54

We fundraised to purchase the Lycian Zot LED last year. It was a bit over $3k. I called around to different vendors until I found one that worked well for sale & delivery in my area. The cost was a lot for us, but we love it, and I think it will ultimately save us money over time. Our technical theatre department is limited, and even my beginning theatre technicians have no problem operating this follow spot. The internal boomerang can hold 5 different color gels (I bought it with the cool white lamp, and use warm gels based on what we need for each show). Most importantly, it's BRIGHT & QUIET--We have it on our balcony, more than 100' from the stage, and it's bright, effective, and virtually silent.

http://www.lycian.com/lycian_specsheet_zotled_180515.pdf

Not sure at all as to how it stacks up the the Altman LED spots, but it works perfectly for us. Good luck!

Alana Stern
    Troupe 8774
    Wachusett Regional HS
    Holden, MA

• 5.  RE: follow spot decision

Posted 02-12-2020 10:01
    Wow! I was thinking they were in the $1500-$2,000 range. 
    Good to know! haha Will have to definitely budget that in if needed...

Erika

Erika Trahan
    Kaplan LA

• 6.  RE: follow spot decision

Posted 02-12-2020 10:17
    We were surprised, too! It's SO difficult to find prices online. It's easily the most expensive thing I ever purchased for our program, but I do think it was worth the effort researching and fundraising--we really wanted the LED. Shipping alone was about $275, and was unavoidable, even though I ordered from a local vendor. If you purchase something new, just be aware of that added cost, too.

Alana Stern
    Holden MA

• 7.  RE: follow spot decision

Posted 02-12-2020 10:46
    Depending on where you check, $815 is either reasonable or rather high for a used 1000q. It should be bright enough for a 100 ft throw, but check it out in your theater first, if possible. As to whether you should save up for an LED spot, it depends on your situation and use. We use our spots, Altman Comets, for a maximum of four shows a year. The lamps tend to last at least two years, so it's not worth spending 3k+ for a comparable follow spot.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance