Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Fake Food Props

Posted 03-21-2017 22:03
    I need realistic sausage links or hotdogs that I can string together.  I am also seeking a roasted pig and chicken. And donuts! Discovering that buying these items is expensive! I am going to attempt making my own sausage links and donuts but wanted to reach out to the community first. Any tips or suggestions will be appreciated!  

Stephanie Schultze
    Theatre Teacher
    Thespian Troupe Director
    Russellville High School

• 2.  RE: Fake Food Props

Posted 03-22-2017 09:08
    sausage links - some kind of foam 1” tube cut in appropriate lengths….maybe plumbing insulation -inside a dark nylon pantie hose! Tie in between “links”

Valerie Scott
    Perimeter School

• 3.  RE: Fake Food Props

Posted 03-22-2017 10:03
    I have found the employees at Lowe's to be incredibly helpful when I have to come up with stuff like this, they seem to genuinely enjoy a new challenge! I'll go in and explain what I'm trying to make, and without fail, they come up with the perfect solution. I also make sure to tell them about my budget, and they've even explored the back to give me packing materials, scraps, or samples for free. Any time I do this, I make sure to note their name and then I write a nice note to the store about them so they hopefully hear some positive feedback from management.

------------------------------
    Ginny Butsch
    Community Manager
    Educational Theatre Association
    Alexandria KY

• 4.  RE: Fake Food Props

Posted 03-22-2017 10:31
    Salt dough is also an inexpensive and quick option. After the pieces are cool, they take paint very well, and could be used both as sausages and donuts.

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 5.  RE: Fake Food Props

Posted 03-22-2017 11:00
    Years ago, I made a roast chicken (turkey, actually) using upholstery foam cut to shape and enclosed in pantyhose. The appendages were made the same way and sewn onto each side of the "bird". Then I painted on top of the foam/pantyhose base with multiple shades to provide the proper coloring. Unfortunately, I don't have any photos handy to share, but it looked pretty good sitting on a platter. 
    You could certainly go the papier-mache route as well. Plenty of tutorials out there if you've never done it before.
    Good luck!

• 6.  RE: Fake Food Props

Posted 03-22-2017 11:04
    Whenever I do Scapino I make the sausage out of a long foam cylinder with a nerf ball cut in half for each end. I then pull two layers of opaque brown tights and tie a know in the end. Works every time and my students have a blast with it. 

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 7.  RE: Fake Food Props

Posted 03-23-2017 14:58
    This may be obvious, but the most important part of making "realistic" food is to have a sample of the real thing as a model. A real roast chicken (for instance) would be great, but there are lots of photos online, taken from different angles, that show you the real proportions, colors, and so forth.

For instance, here's a faux cheesecake I made years ago for a show, using a real one as a model. The body is rigid foam, the "swirly top" is lightweight spackle, and the crumb topping is fine sawdust.

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net
    http://astore.amazon.com/sdtbookstore-20

• 8.  RE: Fake Food Props

Posted 03-24-2017 10:28
    Thank you to everyone for these great ideas. I have tried the pantyhose sausages and am happy with that. On to the chicken and donuts.  Ginny, our local Lowes is great, it was made even better when I ran into an alumni who works there now WITH a child coming up into our theatre program!  He was very helpful and wants to become more involved again with theatre. Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!

Stephanie Schultze
    Drama Teacher/Director
    Dover AR