Open Forum

View Only

Ticket sales? Where do they go?

• 1.  Ticket sales? Where do they go?

Posted 01-20-2017 10:59
    At our school, I am lucky enough to have a VERY active Parent Booster organization that covers all of our arts programs, here and at our middle school. They have been extremely helpful- overly so. This is my first year here and the school's first year with a full-time drama teacher. Ergo, when I got here there were no plays other than the ones "reserved" for the English department. The Boosters didn't bat an eyelash and dropped a few grand on curriculum for me. They also covered two field trips to local plays for ALL of my students including transportation. They pay for the sets, the costumes, the props, the programs, the publicity, etc. etc. etc. for our plays. ALL the school has to pay for is the rights and the scripts.

Here's where it gets sticky. I literally have a 300 dollar budget per year for drama. There isn't a fund set aside for the rights to shows. Yes, somehow, the school managed to come up with the 3 grand I needed for the rights to my fall play and my spring musical...and I didn't ask questions. I assumed I would get to pay them back from the ticket sales. I was wrong. The Boosters tell me that they keep all of the money from the ticket sales and they always have. I'm told that they "almost never" make a profit and their goal is to "break even." Here's the thing: I'm also told that my fall play ticket sales were nearly triple what they've sold in the past and I can only imagine what the musical is going to do.

My department chair tells me this is not legal. My gut is that it's just not fair. I'm in the first year of building an empire, and I know I have to work with this group- I WANT to work with this group- but I feel like things just aren't adding up. 

Any thoughts on this? Anyone have a similar situation?

• 2.  RE: Ticket sales? Where do they go?

Posted 01-21-2017 11:32
    Ask your finance person, there should be a district policy that all monies should be run through the school.   (At least in our district there is).  If you explain it to them that it's district policy, it might ease some of the strain.   And they can always keep receipts and write them off as donations at the end of the year.

------------------------------
    Glen Carpenter
    Tooele UT

• 3.  RE: Ticket sales? Where do they go?

Posted 01-21-2017 18:40
    I would definitely have a conversation with administrators.  I think where it gets sticky is the fact that in financing your plays, the parent booster group became one of your producers, so I understand why they'd feel they have the right to that money.

Right now we get some money from the district, but I know they don't want to fund us forever.  We are in the process of becoming self sufficient and have created a plan for doing so that everyone agreed to, in which we keep our ticket sales and the money the distrct gives us becomes less each year.  Perhaps you could come to an agreement like that with your boosters?

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 4.  RE: Ticket sales? Where do they go?

Posted 01-24-2017 19:13
    When my own kids were in high school there were several situations in which money was extorted from different Booster Funds (Sports..) in our area.  It became the policy of our county that monies could not be held by a parents group but had to run through conventional school accounting departments.  I am employed by a school which is part of a large church and we have the same kind of contraints as all monies from the church are checked by an outside accounting firm.  This is not a conversation you want to have and it should be above your "paygrade", but your administration needs to step up.  It's not just an issue of fair but an issue of wise financial practices for your school. 

Valerie Scott
    Drama Teacher/Director
    Perimeter School
    Johns Creek, Ga

• 5.  RE: Ticket sales? Where do they go?

Posted 01-22-2017 18:56
    Congratulations! You were handed a sweet pkg with that Booster Club! They're invaluable! I started the Theatre program at my school and building the parent support was key! When I retired, I was able to pass the department & committees as a beautifully wrapped gift to my successor. 
    My guess is that the school's financial office is aware of the committee and the money they make. Maybe they allow groups/committees to keep their own accounts - it's not unheard of. I would, however, check with the financial office so you know the correct policy and have peace about how things are handled. 

Connie Sandoz
    Waxahachie, TX
    Retired Theatre Director
    Henderson, NV

• 6.  RE: Ticket sales? Where do they go?

Posted 01-22-2017 19:47
    Are you at a public school? If so, this definitely seems odd (but not necessarily wrong). Check with the school bookkeeper or the finance person for the district to see if this is okay. Even if it is okay, you don't have to continue with it. My knee-jerk reaction is that you should have control over the tickets sales and how the money is spent.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

• 7.  RE: Ticket sales? Where do they go?

Posted 01-23-2017 01:27
    At my school, ticket sales HAVE to go through the ASB. The money stays in my account, but it CANNOT go to a booster group.  That is true for anything sold ON CAMPUS. I would definitely look into this. Seems shady to me.

Kathleen Switzer
    Fullerton CA

• 8.  RE: Ticket sales? Where do they go?

Posted 01-23-2017 07:57
    It's lovely that they have paid out so much in terms of your costs for licensing, sets, etc, and even getting a currirulum? That's cool. At the same time, it does sound like you're at the Booster's behest in terms of controlling what you do with the money that your ticket sales generate.

I would proceed with caution. Find out more details about how the other groups have access to/what is done with ticket sales for their functions, and then find out whether, if you need anything, you just need to request it through the booster (or buy it and get reimbursed). Some districts insist all ticket sales money has to come through the school, others turn a blind-ish eye about it going to the booster club, others are not told, so your situation is obviously going to be unique. I do think you have a wonderful set-up, so be careful not to alienate the individuals who manage what looks like a tremendous cash flow and support.

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Ruskin FL

• 9.  RE: Ticket sales? Where do they go?

Posted 01-23-2017 08:06
    Hmmm....this is very interesting. I have never heard of such a thing. Every penny has to be accounted for in our department. Every ticket stub is counted as if it were money.

---------------------------------
    Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School
    ---------------------------------

• 10.  RE: Ticket sales? Where do they go?

Posted 01-23-2017 08:49
    I am an activities director and drama teacher, and I know that in our district, all of the ticket sales have to go into our ASB drama account. Booster clubs are supposed to be a separate entity with their own account and non-profit status. I also have a small budget provided for teaching drama, but I pay for all production expenses out of my ticket sales, including royalties. You are lucky to have so much parental support, but that should be support, not control.

Jodi Improta
    Fine Arts Department Chair
    Fullerton CA

• 11.  RE: Ticket sales? Where do they go?

Posted 01-24-2017 08:50
    I have been told that ticket money becomes public school funds at the moment of sale.  It is against Iowa state law for public school funds to be held by non-school groups, including booster clubs.  Although, if you make it clear that the funds are not the school's, but belong to the boosters, their may be a loophole.  Ask the district CFO and have the admin take the heat for changing it if it needs changing. ;-)

[William] [Myatt] [Director of Theatre]

[Pleasant Valley High School]

[myattw@pleasval.k12.ia.us][563-332-5151][Bettendorf][IA][USA]