Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Graduate Level Courses for Theatre Educators (non degree seeking)

Posted 11-14-2018 10:29
    I am currently a middle school theatre teacher with my undergraduate degree in theatre education, and my master’s degree in education. I am looking for graduate level classes that I can take without being enrolled in a full program that will help me to gain more theatre credit towards my professional license.

Sadly, though all of my course work in my masters program was theatre centered, the state needs me to take courses that say drama somewhere in the syllabus. Last year I did the Broadway Teachers Workshop which was incredible! However, I don’t believe I can take that course again for additional credits towards my license. I’ve been searching for this for years, and aside from PD (non credit) , and full time programs I haven’t found much.

Any help or advise would be great!

Lindsy

Sent from my iPhone

• 2.  RE: Graduate Level Courses for Theatre Educators (non degree seeking)

Posted 11-16-2018 12:20
    Hi Lindsy,
    In the program I run at Catholic University, we offer a Graduate Certificate program in Creative Teaching through Drama. All of the courses are offered online. We meet via videoconferencing, so our courses are not online courses that are more like an independent study.
    The certificate program consists of 5 graduate courses. Enrolling in the program gives you a significantly lower tuition rate than taking, say, just a course or two as a non-degree student.
    Our web pages begin at https://drama.catholic.edu/academics/certificate/creative-teaching/index.html.

The following 7 courses are offered completely online*:

*online: As mentioned above, our online classes actually meet via videoconferencing software so that students and instructors interact in real time throughout the semester or summer session.

DR507, Drama in Education, Part 1

DR509, Drama in Education, Part 2

DR524, Acting/Directing Workshop

DR526, The Teaching of Theatre

DR575, Theatre Topics III, Asian Theatre

DR603, Western Theatre and Culture (Also offered as a hybrid-see below.)

DR607, The History of Drama and Theatre in Education

The program offers one Independent Study course:

DR931, Field Studies in Theatre Education

There are two hybrid courses that begin online in May and conclude in person in late June – July:

DR603, Western Theatre and Culture (Also may be taken completely online.)

DR651, Directing

Students who live local to the DC area can also take some of the other graduate courses offered by the Drama Department, such as:

DR624, Theater of the Oppressed: History and Applications for Theatre in Education

For course descriptions, please visit: https://drama.catholic.edu/academics/courses/descriptions/index.html

Graduate Certificate Application Requirements:

• Online Application
    • Transcripts
    • 1 Letter of Recommendation
    • Personal Statement
    Please contact me at FLYNN@cua.edu if you would like further information.

------------------------------
    Rosalind Flynn
    Head of the M.A. in Theatre Education
    Director, The High School Drama Institute
    The Catholic University of America
    Washington, DC
    drama.cua.edu/graduate/MATE
    drama.cua.edu/summer
    ------------------------------