Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Thespian Points

Posted 05-15-2019 15:19
    I have a student who just joined us this year as a dancer for the musical.  She has years of experience and has done many dance shows with her dance company, but she has only done one show with us at school.  Am I able to award her point for her pervious dance shows if she wasn't with a official EdTA Troupe?

------------------------------
    Ken Ruffalo
    West Aurora High School
    Aurora. IL.

• 2.  RE: Thespian Points

Posted 05-15-2019 18:54
    The guidelines for awarding points do allow for activities outside of your school (community theatre and the like), but only up to five points from outside activities can be put towards induction. Its really at your discretion if you chose to award points for outside activities and how many points you allow.  Would be something you probably want to add to your troupe by laws so its clear.

My question would be what the nature of the dance shows were.  My interpretation is we are awarding points for work in the creation and performance of theatre. So, if the shows are strictly the performance of some dance routines, I don't think I would award points.

Derek Friederich
    Thespian Troupe 417/Speech Coach/Jr. High Drama/Fine Arts Center Technical Director
    Postville IA

• 3.  RE: Thespian Points

Posted 05-15-2019 21:42
    Ultimately, it's at your discretion. If you think she has put in enough hours to earn five points from your production, and has done enough outside of school for five more points, then yes, induct her, especially if you think she will be involved next year.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 4.  RE: Thespian Points

Posted 05-16-2019 07:43
    Guidelines for student induction using the Thespian point system can be found here: https://www.schooltheatre.org/internationalthespiansociety/troupedirectors/troupehandbook#5b

Ken is correct, though, that the final decision is yours as the Troupe Director. I would strongly consider taking his excellent advice about including guidelines for outside activities in your Troupe Constitution. It is best to be transparent so that the guidelines can be implemented fairly for all students. It also prevents a potentially awkward discussion down the road with a student, parent, and/or administrator. 

Daniel Doerger
    EdTA Membership Outreach Manager
    Cincinnati OH