Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Godspell

Posted 12-06-2016 13:01

Hello fellow theatre teachers.  I am planning on doing Godspell as our musical and realized that licensing  is through two different publishing companies – MTI and Theatre Maximus.  I did the show about 18 years and used Theatre Maximus but was wondering if anyone knows if there is a difference in cost or is the script updated, etc. I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks so much!

Pauline Maranian

Drama Teacher/ Director

Estancia HS

(949) 515-6537

• 2.  RE: Godspell

Posted 12-06-2016 13:41

Not 100% sure what the difference is, but I just did the 2012 Revised Version last year through MTI and was thrilled with the helpful nature of the company as I navigated through my first musical.  I'm almost 100% sure that if you are looking to do the revised version, MTI is the only one who owns the rights to that, but I'm not 100% sure what the difference is otherwise! 

Hope this helps!

------------------------------
    Corey Ragan
    Theatre Teacher/Director
    Groveport Madison High School
    Groveport, OH

• 3.  RE: Godspell

Posted 12-07-2016 11:33

MTI owns it. There is an actual revival 2012. I just did it with a local community theatre. 

Shelley Nowacek
    Virginia Beach VA

• 4.  RE: Godspell

Posted 12-07-2016 16:39

Theater Maximus owns the original version and MTI owns the revival.  I think the song Beautiful CIty is added in the new one.

Kathy Cannnarozzi Harris
    Theater Director - Mission Viejo HS
    VAPA Coordinator K-12
    Saddleback Valley USD
    Mission Viejo, CA

• 5.  RE: Godspell

Posted 12-08-2016 08:07

Theatre Maximus and MTI both carry the original Godspell (albeit the original with revisions done in 1999). You can use Beautiful City in the original version and both companies will provide music for the song. MTI is the only one who has the recent Broadway revival. I prefer the original script but like some of the musical arrangements from the revival.  MTI has more resources to offer you, but I found Theatre Maximus to be less expensive. I have worked on at least 10 productions of Godspell during the last 42 years and I have always used Theatre Maximus.

Thomas Peters
    Theatre and Speech Teacher
    The Summit Country Day School
    Cincinnati OH

• 6.  RE: Godspell

Posted 12-09-2016 00:31

I just closed Godspell at our school two weeks ago. We went with Theatre Maximus and it was great. I will say the scripts are pretty beat up, but very affordable for licensing. It included Beautiful City, but was not the revival.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Jeanne-Marie Grewe
    Theatre Director
    Lake Mead Christian Academy
    Henderson NV

• 7.  RE: Godspell

Posted 12-10-2016 12:21

Thanks so much everyone. I really appreciate the input!

Pauline Maranian
    Costa Mesa CA