Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Dialect Unit?

Posted 08-09-2017 11:53
    Hope everyone is enjoying the 'getting back to it' vibe.

I asked before and got one good suggestion, so I'll ask again and see what other ideas are out there. Does anyone have any dialect units they enjoy teaching, or pointers for designing my own? We are working on "Pride and Prejudice" this fall, and I would like to British-ready my students, as well as maybe giving them the opportunity to add another dialect to their toolbox.

I have a full set of the David Alan Stern dialect lessons, and could easily incorporate those into the lesson as resources for the students.

Any thoughts?

------------------------------
    Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 2.  RE: Dialect Unit?

Posted 08-10-2017 16:36
    Have the students watch some British tv programs. Downton Abbey or any of the marvelous series that we Americans have access to.
    Or even films. THE KING'S SPEECH, for example.

Nancy Bernhard
    retired
    Salinas High School theatre

• 3.  RE: Dialect Unit?

Posted 08-11-2017 06:41

There is a Book and set of CDs from Paul Meier that you can purchase, I have used this when directing productions in the community theatres and you can do it in a group setting or you can have students check them out, well worth the investment and you will have them for years to come.

The web site is www.paulmeier.com

Jerry Onik
    V.P. Theatrical Supplies and Equipment
    Omaha NE

• 4.  RE: Dialect Unit?

Posted 08-15-2017 13:14
    I use Stage Dialects by Jerry Blunt - both the book and CDs. I teach the International Phonetic Alphabet and use it to teach the dialects as well. Even if you don't teach the I.P.A., the materials by Blunt are a great investment! :)

Carolyn Kovar
    McCluer North High School
    Ferguson-Florissant School District
    Florissant MO