Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Short One Acts

Posted 03-09-2021 10:31
    I am looking for some fun One Acts that aren't much longer than 15 minutes. Any suggestions are appreciated. I just want to narrow down my search.

------------------------------
    Elizabeth Nelson
    Bishop Miege High School
    Theatre/Video Production Teacher
    Shawnee Mission, KS

• 2.  RE: Short One Acts

Posted 03-10-2021 07:33
    I think you can pick and choose pieces out of some longer compilations like A Simpler Time (available from Playscripts) and A Tale of Tales by Hilary DiPiano (a fun commedia adaptation of some lesser-known fairy tales). You can also license them separately.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator

• 3.  RE: Short One Acts

Posted 03-10-2021 08:54
    Hi, Elizabeth,

There are a lot of 10 minute play collections out there.

I've suggested Samuel French 10 minute play competition before, but the feedback was that SF is expensive.

Best,
    Sylvia

• 4.  RE: Short One Acts

Posted 03-10-2021 12:30
    Hi Elizabeth,

Take a look at Victor at Pioneer Drama Service for a hysterical 20-minute traditional play. 
    Victor - One Act Comedy Script

Nothing Good Happens After Midnight is a hilarious virtual play with a 15-minute running time.
    Nothing Good Happens After Midnight - A Virtual Play

Best wishes!

Debra Fendrich
    Pioneer Drama Service
    Executive Editor
    800-333-7262

• 5.  RE: Short One Acts

Posted 03-11-2021 15:35
    Elizabeth, my students found some interesting 10-minute plays published by the Heuer company (hitplays.com)--both comedies and more serious works.  They also have one-acts and full-length plays, but my students were looking for 10-minute plays to direct as part of our annual collection of Thespian-directed plays.  They have really reasonably priced packages that include scripts and royalties.  And they have added streaming video and streaming rights since the pandemic began.  My students read through many, many plays to select the ones they directed, but it is possible to read through the entire play on the Heuer website. 

The problem I found with the Samuel French (now Concord) and Dramatists 10-minute play collections is that the books are expensive and fall apart quickly when students are rehearsing with them in hand.  If you decide to perform 10-minute plays from those collections, my experience was that they charged $45 to $50 per play per performance, which adds up when you are performing a group of plays.

CJ Breland
    Retired Theatre Arts Educator

• 6.  RE: Short One Acts

Posted 03-12-2021 05:40
    I like collections that are connected, like 24 hours am and 24 hours pm. Each play takes place at a different hour of the day and has 2 or 3 characters. Royalties are paid as if it is one play. 10 by 10, inspired by ideas of the 10 commandments, works like this, too. You get short plays with a variety of playwrights with one common theme. Another idea is Picture This, with all plays about art.

Elisabeth Ledwell