Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Additional Teacher Disadvantages

Posted 06-01-2018 15:27
    Hello!

My school is a comprehensive public high school with about 2100 students and declining enrollment in the district. I took over our theatre arts program 5 years ago and started with 1 period of theatre and 30 students (including beginning and advanced in the same room, same period). Despite living in an area where the arts are not highly funded, supported, or valued, finally this year I have managed to have 5 periods of theatre, though 2 are still on the smaller side. 

My administration is suddenly attempting to give one section of my beginning theatre to another instructor on campus. Additionally, a teacher that does not want it or want to continue with the program. The admin claims this is due to numbers; that so many students want to take theatre 1 that an additional class period is necessary.

However, this argument is rather moot, as they are trying to give me one period of intermediate/IB combined with 15 students and 1 period of tech with only 10 students. With proper scheduling I would be more than capable of handling all of the theatre classes. Additionally, our choir program is struggling. Shifting some introductory theatre students into introductory choir would greatly help the entire performing arts department.

When all of these arguments were made to the administrator in charge of scheduling, he yelled at me and would not budge. I feel unnecessarily splitting the program will create so many issues that I am almost considering leaving the site if the administration will not act in the best interest of the program.

I was wondering if anyone else in a comparable school has more than 1 theatre teacher. If so, I'd like to be able to list advantages of one program lead at a school this size and the disadvantages of a split program with only one period going to a different instructor. Any input or information would be incredibly helpful as my next meeting is today at 3pm. Thank you so much in advance.

------------------------------
    Jennifer Hyde
    Moreno Valley CA

• 2.  RE: Additional Teacher Disadvantages

Posted 06-05-2018 23:35
    Of course I don't know the details, but why does this feel like such a big issue for you? From your description, it sounds like a matter of inefficiency (your smaller classes than could maybe be consolidated) on the school's part, but at least it isn't working against you – like if they were trying to overload you. What do you see as the problem(s) with having this other teacher doing one intro course? I agree that for continuity's sake it may not be ideal, but school schedules often require some of this sort of compromise. I teach English, and often a teacher will do just one section out of several, mostly because that is the way the schedule has to work. Sometimes, the best you can do (esp if that other teacher doesn't really want to do it) is to let it run that way for a year. Maybe the schedule works better next year, or the other teacher strongly requests not doing it again. If it isn't really harming you, then flexibility seems wise.

Steven Slaughter
    English/Theatre
    Rosslyn Academy
    Nairobi, Kenya

"Be joyful, though you have considered all the facts." - W Berry

• 3.  RE: Additional Teacher Disadvantages

Posted 06-06-2018 07:44
    Congratulations on building up that program!  I am head of a large theatre program with 3 teachers. We have appx 2800 students in our school and about 350-400 are in the theatre program.  It didn't start that way, it started as a small program with less than 100 kids. Growth is hard but theatre is collaborative, so look at it that way.  I think the only way this works is if you have joint planning time and that communication is very good.  Weekly PLC meetings and the other teacher has to be given some responsibilities for production work.  If that teacher can't do after schools, then you have to make every effort to connect to the kids in that class so they can build a bond with you. 

Theatre directors are people who want to hold tight to control but you can't work that way if you are to the point of needing additional sections.  Your admin is actually trying to support you, let this go and work to need even more sections the year after so maybe they will hire you a true second teacher.  Oh, And document all the communication you do, how you try to connect, etc so that if it doesn't work out, you have something to support your arguments.

Wishing you the best!!

Vicki Kirkley
    Director of Theatre
    McKinney Boyd High School
    McKinney, Texas

• 4.  RE: Additional Teacher Disadvantages

Posted 06-06-2018 08:56
    ​Jennifer,

Wow, congratulations on the growth. Sounds like you are doing some amazing things. I'm with Vicki on this one. As long as the curriculum is the same, accept the help. This will allow you to beef up your advanced courses. Plus I'm sure you have the opportunity to work with all your students throughout the year in your productions.

Best of luck!

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School