Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Newsies

Posted 04-20-2021 07:14
    OK - so I posted earlier this week about an all or mostly female cast of "1776." Still like the idea, but not sure my kids or community are ready for that. They like popular, broad, recent titles. 

But what about the same approach to "Newsies"? That also has a lot of guys I don't have, but maybe with girls we could pull it off. Thoughts? Anyone try this? Does the script/music lend itself to gender neutral casting? Going to get a perusal but interested in feedback. Thanks :)

------------------------------
    Steven Couch
    Madison High School

• 2.  RE: Newsies

Posted 04-21-2021 07:26
    Good morning! Our Spring 2020 Show (which became our fall 2020 show!) was Newsies. We had a mostly female cast. Our Jack, Davey and Les were all males. As was Race. However, the rest were all female characters. And it worked just fine. We had a few other boys in the chorus, but the majority were females. We had a dance cast who did the major choreography we planned. Even the Delancy brothers were female cast. I feel like a lot of schools have done Newsies and it's been the same.

Nicole Weaver
    Faculty, Club Advisor
    Twin Valley High School

• 3.  RE: Newsies

Posted 04-21-2021 08:12
    You can download the production guide for Newsies from the MTI website.  It breaks down which roles can be played by girls playing boys and which traditionally male roles can be swapped to be female characters. You definitely still have to have a handful of really good boys.

• 4.  RE: Newsies

Posted 05-18-2021 12:07
    We did Newsies this year and I found it to be incredibly flexible. Our department has mostly females. Our Race, Les, Mayor, Wiesel and other featured newsies were all played by females. In total, we had 6 guys, definitely doable. Anyone with long hair in the cast did two French braids back in order to keep their hats on! I honestly think this musical is less about the gender playing them but more about the story you are sharing!

Alexis Jenofsky
    Ms.

• 5.  RE: Newsies

Posted 05-19-2021 08:15
    We have been gender-blind casting for 4 years now; works fine for straight plays, but musicals have required some extra cost for MTI Transpositions. 

--
    Robert E. Roy (He/Him/His), Director of Drama
    Pinckney Community High School
    META State Board Representative
    Certified Link Crew Coordinator
    810-225-5721

• 6.  RE: Newsies

Posted 05-19-2021 10:51

Our program had a successful run on NEWSIES in 2019 but we chose the show based on the fact that we had the boys to fulfill what is required according to the licensing agreement and the guidance of the production guide handbook.

The following characters are listed in the handbook as gender flexible. (And appropriate script changes are included)

Newsies: Buttons, Specs, Finch, Splasher, Jo-Jo, Crutchie

Adult characters: Stage Manager, Bunsen, Seitz, Spot, Darcy, Snyder, Jacobi

Hope that helps!

Suzanne Maguire –

Glover M.S. CCLR

Associate Director, Tiger Drama

Lewis & Clark High School

Board Member, WA State Thespians