Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Canned Music

Posted 11-06-2017 12:27
    We were planning on Cry Baby being our spring musical and we do not use a live orchestra. I've always used The MT Pit, but discovered they do not offer the canned orchestrations for Cry Baby and will not within the next year. Are you aware of any other companies that provide instrumental track libraries for musicals? If not any other alternative ideas? Thanks for any help you can offer.

--

• 2.  RE: Canned Music

Posted 11-06-2017 13:16
    First of all, oh my goodness! I forgot that Cry Baby even existed. I remember seeing that show on Broadway and being like: "What am I even watching right now?" I think that the only way to get accompaniment tracks for that show would probably be to commission them yourself, which would be more expensive than just hiring a band.

If you don't care about your accompaniment tracks being high-quality, I suppose you could always use audio cancelling on the OCR. I blogged about it a while ago. Those tracks never sound great, but they can do in a pinch.

------------------------------
    Victoria Chatfield
    Executive Director
    National Theatre for Student Artists
    www.nationalstudenttheatre.org
    vchatfield@nationalstudenttheatre.org

• 3.  RE: Canned Music

Posted 11-06-2017 13:42
    Although I'm not sure for Cry, Baby, you may try Right On Cue Services. I just used ROCS for Charlotte's Web, the musical, and it worked well. Hopefully you'll find what you need!

Jo Strom Lane
    Theatre Teacher and Director
    Roosevelt High School
    Portland Public Schools
    Portland OR

• 4.  RE: Canned Music

Posted 11-06-2017 15:01
    Have you contacted the licensing company to see if they have a recommendation?

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 5.  RE: Canned Music

Posted 11-14-2017 11:33
    I would advise to be very wary of so-called "audio-cancelling" software/devices. For personal use: fine, but for public performance it would be a copyright violation (much like karaoke or 'music minus one' may not be used for public performance).

Michael McDonough
    TRW - Director of Amateur Licensing
    New York

• 6.  RE: Canned Music

Posted 11-10-2017 11:42
    We are doing Cry-Baby! too!!!!

Keep me posted...

Jennifer Jordan
    Director of Theater and Dance