Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Homeschool Participants

Posted 01-24-2017 10:39
    I'm not sure if this is a nationwide thing, or something specific to Alabama, or even just our own county. We have a system in place which (if I understand it correctly) mandates that public schools allow home-schooled youth to go out for school sports and other extracurriculars, if they wish to, since those outlets are not otherwise available to them.

We are holding auditions for "A Midsummer Night's Dream" this week, and I'm wondering whether to let the homeschool community know about the tryouts. Our local community theater has quite a few homeschooled participants, that could be great additions to our Drama Club cast.

Has anyone had any experience with this issue? If I cast a homeschooled student in a competitive role, I suspect there will be negative bounceback from the district students, parents, possibly even colleagues and administration. How do others deal with it, if anyone else does?

------------------------------
    Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 2.  RE: Homeschool Participants

Posted 01-24-2017 13:34
    Josh,

Generally speaking, the homeschooler participation in any school-based production will be governed by the following:
    1 - the student must be a resident of the school district
    2 - the parents must have notified the school board of their intent to homeschool and be registered with a recognized homeschool organization
    3 - this website (https://www.hslda.org/laws/) gives a fairly comprehensive look at all state laws regarding homeschooler participation

I've been through this twice.  I'm happy to answer any personal questions via private message or email (theatreartsteach@gmail.com)

Best to you,
    Aaron

--
    A. W. Miller
    Theatre Arts Director
    I.T.S. Troupe #1523 Director

Private Acting Lessons from Dramedy Acting

All Things Zombie: Original T-Shirts, Games, Movies, and More!

Read: The Sad Man by A. W. Miller

• 3.  RE: Homeschool Participants

Posted 01-24-2017 16:54
    This year was the first time I had a home school student participate in our club. At first I was very hesitant. I wanted our club to be a representation of the school, and nothing more. On the other hand though, I feel that it is very important that EVERY child has access to Drama/the theatrical arts. This student was cast in a show and has gone on trips with us (participating at I.E., etc.), and (as far as I can tell) has been widely accepted by my group. This was only one student, and it may be different with more, but my experience has been good.

Christopher Hamilton
    Drama Teacher
    Kennewick WA

• 4.  RE: Homeschool Participants

Posted 01-25-2017 09:05
    Hi there -- 

We have quite a few homeschoolers in our program, though most of them are also enrolled at the school for chorus and/or band... also hard to do at home on your own!  I had some in the fall straight show, and now in my one act cast of 10 I have 2 homeschoolers... and there are homeschoolers in the musical.  (Last year, Millie of Thoroughly Modern Millie was a homeschooler... she was also the Thespian Society VP.)   I haven't gotten negative pushback, even when audition processes have been competitive.  (I don't direct the musical at my school, but I don't think it has been an issue there either.)

I feel good about having those kids connected to the arts at school, and to a positive peer group... and I think part of why there isn't pushback from the school community is that the kids themselves are valued parts of the group, both for their personalities and for their talents.  I wouldn't want to lose them.    

My guess is that negativity would be short lived as homeschooling thespians integrated into your theater community.

Josie Tierney-Fife
    English Teacher/Theater Director
    Gorham, Maine